ndorfinmachine

Pumpkins....how late is too late?

I know for a fact that Pumpkins can be grown in South Ga. A few years ago, the county I live in, started a pumpkin growing contest. The contest will be held September 13th actually. I have never had any luck at all with pumpkins. Whether it be insects, disease, or bad weather, I have had the worst luck. I would honestly be happy with one darn pumpkin. As I have mentioned in another thread, I lost my pumpkins during that nasty tropical storm we had roll through here. Anyhow, like an idiot, I replanted some more seeds in another area just to see. It's an area that I turned some compost in a couple of months ago. The soil is very rich and these plants have really taken off. Already getting runners and the leaves are a vibrant green. Could I possibly still get pumpkins at some point maybe around thanksgiving? We ususally never have any frost by then. Break it to me gently if my replanting was all in vain. What is the latest you can grow these things?[/I]

Roger

I don't know how late would be too late - the growing season is so long down in the south compared to elsewhere. I think your chances on getting at least one pumpkin to grow before the frost kills the plant is low but not impossible, given how warm the early winter season has been in Georgia these past few years. Depending on what variety of pumpkin you planted, I would think that the shortening days might be the bigest problem with getting a healthy size fruit to set and grow, as there is less and less sunlight for the plant as winter nears. Just a suspicion, and a guess, but I think your vine will grow pretty good - getting the fruit to set, I think, will be your major concern.

I guess you can wait and see - at worst you are just out the cost of a few seeds and your time & effort. Let us know your results : I would be interested to know how they do turn out.

ndorfinmachine

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely keep you updated. Maybe I will have a Christmas pumpkin Charlie Brown. haha

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

There are many varieties of pumpkin. What is your desire? You want a big one you need a fork lift to move? You want some smaller ones for jack-o-lanterns? Howden Pumpkin is a good one here.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”