JasonColeman
Newly Registered

Multiple plants per pot

I'm doing some experiments with indoor growing this year. One of the plants I am growing says for a 12" pot(which I am using) I can plant up to 3 plants. One thing I've never known though, where do you space them? Do you stick them in close proximity to one another in the center, or space them further out towards the edges so each has it's own third to grow in?

Thanks!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I've not really put much thought to my eye-ball placement until you asked this question. I'm not saying my way is right or wrong however I visually cut the top of the pot into the equivalent of 3 equal pie slices. I then center the plants in the middle of each pie slice. So far seems to work for me. I do the same thing if I am planting 4 plants into the same container however I will occasionally balance it out by planting a 5th smack dab in the center if it doesn't look right to me. Tough question. I guess I space them out based on what looks aesthetically appealing to me. I never considered what spacing was technically correct.

JasonColeman
Newly Registered

Yeah, I have kinda assumed close proxmity would cause root competition so I'm doing a pie slice thing like you at the moment. I asssume that means you haven't seen any problems that you could trace to that approach?
Thanks!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I've done it with geraniums, petunias, and some Sarracenia but I've mostly only done this in concrete planters that I set out for a splash of color here and there. This year, I used almost all of my ornamental planters for veggies save a few planters out front. I've been eyeballing placement for years and the only issues I've had with mortality in those planters would be me leaving for vacations and such over the summer and coming back to plants that were crispy because they hadn't been watered. I be in the camp that watering is more important than actual spacing ;)

dinker

Yep thats how I do it to. If I add a vinca vine for interest I just take a look at it when I water to make sure it's hanging down the side of the pot and not around the other plant's

chio88

Learned so much from this as I am also planning to plant indoors. Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”