huricanelane
Newly Registered

Shaded area, what to plant next year

I'm preparing to add some more space to my garden, but the new space is between my house and garage and doesn't get much sun. Any suggesting on what vegetables will grow well there? The house is to the south, the garage to the north, it only get a couple hours of direct sunlight, and indirect light the rest of the day. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Roger

These plants can tolerate partial shade:

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Beets, Radishes
Leafy Greens like spinach, kale, etcetera
Peas and beans

Though they will all produce a lot better in full sun - but if you have to garden in the shade, I think you would have better results if you stuck to plants that didn't produce fruit [like tomatoes, squash etc.] as they require considerable sunlight to produce that fruit.

delmarvagardener
Newly Registered

Planting in the shade

This spring I will start my first vegetable garden at my new home. This post is very helpful because my garden has areas that will not receive full sun all day long. Since this is my first garden I am interested to see what will grow successfully in the location I have selected for my garden. My entire yard is surrounded by pine trees about 20ft tall. So short of putting the garden smack dab in the middle of the yard there will always be shade at some point during the day.

applestar
Mod

We put up white fence around our back yard -- now areas that used to be dark are a lot brighter. Also, my neighbor's house is a light tan color and the garden located on the north side of my house is brighter when the sun is shining directly on THEIR house.
You may not want to paint the house or the garage, but maybe you can just hang a white material -- maybe something like the floating row cover -- on the walls. Just another one of my crazy ideas. :wink: ... OR you can get even crazier and hang mirrors. :roll:

Don't forget lettuce. You can also grow Blackberries, Blueberries, and Wild Strawberries (Fragaria virginiana) -- not sure about cultivated strawberries. Maybe Cucumbers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”