Nogol

Harvesting Corn

Can anybody tell me how to tell if the corn is ready to be harvested?
Thanks!!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We pick when the silks are brown all the way down to their base.. You can peel back the leaves and look at one too.

Nogol

THAAAAAANK YOUUU!

rootsy
Green Thumb

Sweet corn, #2 yellow (field) corn, white corn or indian corn?

Naehu808

I was just reading on another website to allow at least 3 weeks from first silking. Also for the sweetest corm, to pick during the milk stage, which they stated didn't last long. (not sure what time frame they're referring to as it didn't mention). Also can check by pinching to see if milk comes from the kernels. Good luck! :)

rootsy
Green Thumb

roughly 3 weeks from silk to harvest... depends upon temperature, moisture, nutrients, variety, etc.

Sweet corn converts sugars to starches as the plant matures. Depending upon the genetic type this process occurs at different rates. Su and Se types will hold for a few days to a week in the field or after harvest before the sweetness fades and the kernel becomes tougher and starchy. Sh2's (shrunken 2 gene) types as well as Se x Sh2 types hold longer and are used for fresh market / long shipping. they'll hold up to about 2 weeks in the field or after harvest as the Su gene is not present and therefore metabolism of sugar into starch is very slow. The Sh2 gene also results in sugar levels within the kernel that are 2 to 3+ times greater than Su & Se types.

Sh2 plants don't need isolation from field corn unlike the Su and Se types. Sh2 types will only cross pollinate with other Sh2 plants. All other sweet corn types need isolation from field corn.

Sh2 types though are more difficult to grow in that they require warm soil so early planting isn't always feasible. The seed likes to be planted shallow and likes moisture to get going... Starter fertilizer in furrow helps also to get a good root system going.

When the silk browns and dries it is getting ready. The flags will be dark green and the husk will become tight as the kernels swell. You will feel the tip become more blunt and filled. the husk generally will darken in color also and the ear will fall away slightly from the stalk.

I grow an augmented Sh2 variety of sweet corn (Xtra Tender variety) for roadside and local market. I cannot grow enough nor harvest it fast enough. it flies off of the shelf at whatever price I want to sell it at it seems. It has to be the best corn I've ever had and I've had more customers than I can count tell me the same.... I get quite a few customers that are referrals from existing customers every year....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”