kbuilta
Newly Registered

Help Identify Squash

We have a nice 30' x 65' garden plot we're using for this growing season in a common area owned by the company I work for. Garden plots have been here for I don't know how many years. We planted a variety of things but there are a couple of things that may have volunteered from previous tenants.

One squash-like plant has produced something we didn't plant and we can't identify. Here's a picture:
[img]https://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/php411/MysterySquash.jpg[/img]

It's skin looks like watermelon, it's shape is like a gourd, it smells a little like zucchini, its flesh and seeds look like squash, the "juice" is very astringent (I think it's not ripe). This particular fruit is about 10 inches long and 6 inches in diameter at one end and 5 inches in the narrower middle.

Any ideas??

Thanks so much.

dinker

Is it a hubbard squash

kbuilta
Newly Registered

Other sources seem to indicate that Hubbard squash have tapered ends which this one doesn't have (at all).

Is it possible for cross-pollination to change the fruit of a squash plant and pickup characteristics of its neighbors? This plant is among a variety of pumpkin plants and yellow squash.

dinker

All summer squash, Halloween pumpkins, vegetable spaghetti, acorn squash, and small ornamental gourds are closely related and do cross if planted close to one another.

kbuilta
Newly Registered

Aha, then this must be a Giant Squashucchinikin. Now if I could just figure out when the right time is to pick them :) .

kbuilta
Newly Registered

Forgot to add...Thanks for the help!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”