stvfarmboy

What Causes Irregularly Shaped Cucumbers?

I have a question I am hoping someone on here can help me with. Earlier in the season my cucumbers were doing pretty well. Lately however, it seems that an increasing number of the cucumbers are irregularly shaped. I don't know if it is something that I am doing or not doing that is causing this or if it is possibly just the weather or what. If anyone else has noticed this or has any insight it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roger

I've noticed in the past that my vines seem to do this same thing towards the end of the plants life and they are getting weak, or when there hasn't been enough rain [or early in the plants life in spring when there has been too much rain.] The only other time I've noticed them produce irregular fruit is as a result of a fungal/bacterial problem, but in that case the vine usually has signs of the infection as well, like sickly looking vines or splotchy & unhealthy leaves.

Either way, I would pick off any irregular looking cucumbers, and see if the vine flowers again and hopefully produces better fruit.

mr_tumnas

High temps can damage the pollen, causing poor pollination and therefore poor fruit quality. It happens to me every year in the summer. If the rest of the plant looks healthy then I bet this is your problemo.

stvfarmboy

Thanks for the help guys. It hasn't been extremely hot here this year but we haven't had much rain lately. So I am thinking that might be contributing to the shape of the cucumbers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”