ndorfinmachine

Fay got my fall crop :(

Is it just me or is it hard to have a successful garden in south ga? I opted to plant a fall garden this year cause it seems the insects aren't as bad, but between the bugs and Fay....I got really ticked off today and tore up everything I had planted. I had some really nice collards coming along, but the heavy rain, wind, and tree limbs beat them to death. I was also very proud of some acorn squash that were putting on blooms before the storm. I found them today, ripped to shreds and covered in mud. I had planted some Little marvel peas (like a dummy) right before the storm. Of course they were all washed away So what's a guy to do? Is it too late to start over? I won't even mention the horror my poor pumpkin plants went through. Let's just say they are now in a better place: In my compost bin. haha

ndorfinmachine

Man......is that crickets I hear chirpin'? Jeeeeezus Christ. chirp chirp chirp chirp........

Roger

Sorry to hear about your hard work going down the drain. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do about the weather and you just have to grin and bear it. On the bright side, there is always next year, or that is what I tell myself frequently.

Do you know when the first frost usually hits your area? It may not be too late to try planting collards or other brassica plants, they can usually withstand a light frost. I would try to find plants to set out of these, I'm not sure if starting from seed for them would have enough time before frost date. I think it might be too late for new plants of squash, depending on the frost date; pumpkins I believe are too late to replant in time to get a crop from them.

I think you could re-sow the peas; depending on how soon winter begins, you might could get a small crop, but the main reason I would plant peas would be not so much for the crop as for the nitrogen boost to the garden, for next spring.

applestar
Mod

I've been planting peas at the base of corn and sunflower stalks since beginning of August... and I've been wondering at the slow/sparse germination rate... still too hot? I was only seeing a seedling here and there, even though I'd sowed at about 1 every inch or so. This morning, I finally found out why -- bunch of little paw digging marks! *Something* ... maybe squirrels? Have been digging them up! :evil: Good thing I have another pkt of seeds!

I wouldn't consider it here in NJ but in S. Ga I wonder if you still have time for the really short maturation (like 52 days) bush beans and summer squash? You could always throw floating covers over those in a pinch. Other crops to consider are leaf lettuce (~45 days) winter hardy vege's like ground storing carrots or short season round carrots (~54 days), kale, spinach, mache, daikon (if you like them -- they're great in winter stews with any kind of meat), Japanese turnips (~45 day).... Some on-line seed catalogs have specific Fall Crop section. Also, check out Four Season Harvest by Elliot Coleman. Lots of good info in there.

ndorfinmachine

Thanks for the tips guys. As far as frost here, could be into December. Last year we one one frosty November morning and then it warmed up after that until December. Actually I guess I could plant some turnips and broccoli again this year, like last year. They loved those light frosty mornings. Seemed to make them grow better. I do believe I still had broccoli pretty close to Christmas. I may try the peas again as well. Heck, if it fails. at least it'll keep me busy in the yard away from the wife. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”