megshepardson

Zuchinni Leaves have White Blotches

Hello everyone....hope this is a picture my poor summer squashs' splotchy leaves. Not all plants in the garden have white splotches...I thought maybe it was beacquse the water is hard around here. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this?

How the hell do you insert a pic? Wah! I can't figure it out

THNX

[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Your image didn't post (at least that I can see.) :(

It sounds like it might be powdery mildew, though.

megshepardson

Figured it out! So here's the pic of my poor squash leaf....

[img]https://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/taurean5869/BlotchyLeaves.jpg[/img]

What does anyone think it is? Is there anything I can do?

sixshooter

I have the same issue. but not quite thta severe. I also water with hard as nails water. hmm

megshepardson

Its weird, some plants have this problem others don't......

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I suppose it could be minerals from hard water, but it does look like powdery mildew to me. Here's a pic of powdery mildew on squash leaves:

https://mtvernon.wsu.edu/path_team/Disease%20Gallery/dg81L.jpg

which I found on this site:

https://mtvernon.wsu.edu/path_team/diseasegallery.htm

rootsy
Green Thumb

Powdery Mildew. It;ll start out as small round spots and spread to cover the whole leaf. The leaf will then die and after enough leaves have died the plant will succumb.

start of powdery mildew on a few of my pumpkin leaves. I don't have a photo of one that is fully overtaken but there are a few on the edges.

[img]https://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/pum3.jpg[/img]

megshepardson

Does the milk remedy work does anyone know?

sixshooter

o shoot. my cucumbers and now my zuchinis. can it spread to peppers or tomatos?

megshepardson

I havn't seen it on my tomatoes.....don't have any peppers sorry

rootsy
Green Thumb

BTW, the white spots ON the pumpkins is not powdery mildew but a fungicide residue used to control PM. I put it on at 2X recommended dosage to hopefully hold it at bay or slow it's spread. If this was a food bearing plant I would not have done such a thing. Just FYI.

megshepardson

This is kinda funny.....I didn't really know if the milk was going to work and I was loosing my squash plant fast. I cut off all the white leaves, there was some new growth underneath with no mildew on it yet, but the vine was infected.
So I began looking around my house for something that might be a potential fungicide......I found some leftover Miconazole Nitrate cream....haha :wink: so I dissolved it in some warm H20 and sprayed it on the leaves and will repeat throughout the day.....wonder if it will work?

:flower:

gardenman1964
Newly Registered

It is caused by the roots being too dry.remove affected leaves .You could try copper fungicide.

cynicalbrat79

AHHHHH! I too have the same problem it is making me insane, I tried the milk remedy for a while, its not really a remedy unless you want your spray bottle to smell like gross old milk after one use. I don't know how persistant you have to be with the milk spray but it actually seemed to make things worse, and I don't know what kind of milk you supposed to use either, skim whole 2%, beats me. I too tried cutting some leaves off, but that didn't help much either, Any one out there know how to 86 this mildew mold annoyance? :?

Coleman
Newly Registered

I didn't have a problem with powdery mildew this year, but I've read that you can also use diluted hydrogen peroxide as an anti-fungal. I haven't tried it as an antifungal, though I did water some plants with a dilute solution, they didn't die, but I wasn't doing a control or regular watering that way so I don't know if there really was a lot of improvement.

Page with unfo about it [url=https://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-garden.html]here[/url].

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”