Arriga
Cool Member

Coffee Grounds

What veggies like coffee grounds. I know that it is late in the season but I called Starbucks and they told me that I can pick up grounds anytime I want. What can I do with them now? I am considering the lasagna garden. Maybe I can use them there!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Anything that likes a slightly acid soil will like coffee grounds. Roses like them, as do blueberries. Don't let the grounds touch the stems of your plants, though.

I personally think coffee grounds are better added to a compost pile, instead of just spread on top of the soil around plants, although many gardeners do just spread them around. :)

taterbug
Newly Registered

Arriga wrote:What veggies like coffee grounds. I know that it is late in the season but I called Starbucks and they told me that I can pick up grounds anytime I want. What can I do with them now? I am considering the lasagna garden. Maybe I can use them there!

My husband adds banana peels to our garden. He puts them in the food processor and grinds them , then mixes them into the soil.

rondo769
Cool Member

I have been using coffee grounds in my compost for yrs it is the main ingredient.I put banana peels and any other kitchen scraps it to.My family and neighbors,with whom I share it with refer to it as black gold.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”