iLLogicaL

How to Cope w/Constant Thunderstorms

I live in Boston and we've been having some ridiculous weather this summer. It rains just about every day, and when it does rain, it's usually a sky-draining downpour that just pummels everything for about twenty minutes and then turns straight back to hot sun.

Some of my plants (cukes, zucchini, patty pan squash) have developed what I think is powdery mildew. Fruits are still being produced, but the plants are not looking so hot.

So, two questions:

1. What kind of steps can someone take to help plants deal with these daily downpours followed by sweltering heat?

2. Is there any danger in eating fruits from a plant infested with powdery mildew?

Thanks in advance!
Sun-Worshipper

rootsy
Green Thumb

You could send some of that rain back my way... My pumpkins could use some water...

Once you have powdery mildew all you can do is apply fungicide and pesticides to try to keep it from spreading.

iLLogicaL

rootsy wrote:You could send some of that rain back my way... My pumpkins could use some water...

Once you have powdery mildew all you can do is apply fungicide and pesticides to try to keep it from spreading.

Haha, cheers, but FedEx won't return my calls.

As for the powdery mildew...does it present any risks to humans? The plants are still producing fruits...are they safe to eat?
Sun-Worshipper

Jess
Greener Thumb

Powdery mildew will not affect you unless you have a problem with fungus allergy. It can make some fruit and veg taste a little unpalatable but otherwise you are fine eating them.
Personally I wouldn't use a fungicide on edibles . That would be more toxic than any disease.
Knowing without doing is like plowing without sowing."

iLLogicaL

Thanks Jess! The plan is to just let them die, and take what fruits I can in the meantime.
Sun-Worshipper

cheshirekat

For powdery mildew, try one part milk to nine parts water. Mix and spray on your plants. With all the rain you are getting, I would spray lightly (mist) every other day. Try it for a week to two weeks.
"Love all God's creatures, the animals, the plants. Love everything to perceive the divine mystery in all." -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”