cynicalbrat79

Not so big ears in the Corn field

Hey all,

I tried my hand at growing corn this year, my ears aren't flourishing and the squirells are reeking havoc on my tiny crop. Any suggestions for keeping their little paws off my corn? Also has anyone grown corn with a pink silk before? I think I bought the wrong kind, I guess corn isn't my thing this year. :roll:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I don't know anout the pink silk but corn isn't ready until the silk turns dark brown and is dried out all the way down to the ear. It sounds like yours may yet be growing. Corn likes nitrogen if you haven't been adding it in some way. Good luck.

R12

A .410 shotgun will do wonders at reducing your squirrel population :twisted:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

R12 wrote:A .410 shotgun will do wonders at reducing your squirrel population :twisted:

Agreed, good squirrel=dead squirrel. I'm not a squirrel fan.

rootsy
Green Thumb

How close are the stalks to each other, how far apart are the rows and what did you add for fertilizer. BTW, when that corn is finished pollinating get a good inch a week worth of water on it... Corn requires a lot of water during the milk stage (ie ear growing). From silk to ripe ear is 20 - 25 days give or take.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

I'm not sure where in Illinois you are located but here in south central the weather has not been nice for corn. It got warm early then turn cold then lots and lots of rain then it got really hot again and the corn took off then it got cold which kind of slowed the growth. More warmth and now it's not even hitting 80 deg. Not good for corn devlopment. BUT it will grow just give it time. Like Charlie said the silk needs to start drying out before the ear is ready.

As far as the squirells I don't have much experiance with that but we have a lot in our neighborhood and they never bother my corn. Try feeding them acorns to keep them happy if you can't do what r12 suggests.

cynicalbrat79

I have only a few short rows maybe 20 stalks in all, I live in Bolingbrook (ILL) and the corn has gotten LOADS of water. (we put in a rain catch drain system) I started the corn indoors with a happy little grow it yourself kit and then worked some run of the mill miracle grow into the soil before planting. I am still a garden novice, and usually only grow spaghetti squash and a salsa garden, so corn was a giant leap this year along with carrots and green beans that also have been mutilated by those fuzzy tailed rats. Maybe I'll give the kids some sling shots to improve thier "motor" skills. Guns aren't really my thing (LOL).

rootsy
Green Thumb

Have you caught the squirrel in the act? Never seen a squirrel bother sweet corn... but raccoons will wipe out a small patch in a matter of a few nights.

I prefer a live trap and the 22 over the scatter gun btw....

cynicalbrat79

Yeah I have seen them running along the fence and then they sit in the tree throwing the leaves as they peel into the ear, those bastards mock me

rondo769
Cool Member

I don't know about Illinois,but here in indiana squirrel season came in aug.15

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”