Dustin323
Newly Registered

Growing Lettuce in Louisiana

I'm interested in growing some types of lettuce kinda thinking maybe romaine & iceberg. Anyways I know it's good to grow it in cooler weather does anyone know if right now is a good time to grow it in zone 8. This is really the coolest time of the year and it still ain't that cold really staying in the 60's during the day. If anyone's got any tips please say so. Thanks

Grey
Greener Thumb

I used to live in zone 9 and now in zone 7 - yes you can grow lettuce now, but do check with how soon your weather warms up. In zone 9 it would be too late - the weather will warm up and your cool crops like broccoli will bolt. And once it's bolted it is some bitter stuff!

If you can get starts it may not be too late, but I would not try anything from seed right now. I usually started the seeds in October to put in ground by mid-November when things were cooler. I started my seeds here in zone 7 in September to put in the ground late October - but didn't until November, it was oddly warm here late this year.

Dustin323
Newly Registered

I might try this kind here: https://www.burpee.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=636&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=13&iSubCat=2002&iProductID=636&iSubSubCat=1892
It says its heat tolerant & only 55 days till ready.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

"Protect from heat with shade cloth" makes me a little nervous, but it is winter...worth a try anyway...

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

55 days? That's it?
Well, I say go for it - let us know how it does!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”