applestar
Mod

Looking ahead to 2021 season

Are you starting to think about what or how you want to plant your garden next year/season? I am. :-()

Anything new? I was thinking about Sugarcane ... but I probably can’t grow that here in NJ. Apparently Sorghum is a better choice in terms of seasonal climate. Has anyone tried growing it before?

Since I effectively took a break this year, there’s going to be a LOT of prep work. Not particularly looking forward to it, but I guess I got the chance to *test* the “letting a field go fallow to help rejuvenate/restore the health of the soil" concept. I’ll dig up the link when I get the chance.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Re: Looking ahead to 2021 season

I always look forward to next year...hoping it not be the last one. All the prep work is done, soil testing results have come back. Outside a new melon or two and a new to me pumpkin it is going to be the same old same old. I am thinking about doing a '20 redoux, but with all the new tomato variety seeds purchased we shall see.
Paul F

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

Always thinking about the next year, as with all those new trials, and deciding whether to grow them again, or not. A few keepers, but mostly not, which is normal, but I already have a few new ones I'm going to try. Only a couple new catalogs, so far, and I haven't seen any "new" varieties that looked promising, but I've already got a few in trades.
Dave

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Every year recently I've thought I should deliberately cut down on the number of things I try to grow; simplify and concentrate on improving conditions for the things that grow well and that produce really significant harvests. Do I follow through on that thought? Usually not. This year? We'll see :).

Further to that: I grew some lemongrass in a pot this year. It grew better than I expected (I always thought it was an 'exotic'). But what a PITA to harvest! extracting the tiny amount of culinary 'pith' from within each hard stalk is a real chore with little reward. Makes me think of the work that must be involved in harvesting Saffron. Then ther'es the garbanzo beans I tried one year - grew into a tangled mess and then the beans to be shelled were ONE to a pod. Ouch! Instead I can get 5 or 6 broad-bean plants inside a single tomato cage, with 5 or 6 fat beans in every pod, and fun to shell on a sunny afternoon: No more chick peas for me.
We have work to do on all our politicians, after the votes are counted Delores Broten

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

AppleStar, I've grown millet and a couple varieties of broom corn, including Texas Black this year. Wow, when Johnny's said that it would grow up to 12', they weren't kidding. Even in my rocky garden and in a location where the wind keeps the sprinkler water from reaching all too often and where the corn was stunted: it was 12'. No sorghum yet and they will have to come up with a short-season variety for me to try.

VanIsle, don't give up on diversity. It really helps with success. Too many varieties and species will do well for several years and then fail miserably one season.

PaulF, I tried both a new-to-me melon and a pie pumpkin in 2020. I've never had a pie pumpkin in my garden. The great storage life of the Jack o'Lantern pumpkin that I grow and tried keeping on a basement shelf, convinced me that a short-season pie pumpkin should be given a chance. I don't think that it will do as well in my storage as my buttercup and kabocha. And see, there are examples of good seasons with a failure every now and then - those 2 winter squash. One has been around for decades. I'd bet that I grew and had success with the other a half dozen years. One produces a couple and the other failed completely in 2019. A complete surprise -- I'd like to "deepen the bench!" (And, wouldn't you know? All of them did just super in 2020 :D .)

Yes, the seed catalogs ... New varieties show up every year and some are newly listed in the companies where I will buy a number of tried-and-trues. So, I should do as careful in research as I can be. There are likely some varieties that I'm overlooking. Darn shame, don't you think?

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”