acjlmom

Potatoes

Can you use the eyes of the potatoes from the grocery store or is there a place to get potato eyes to plant? If I can plant them from the grocery store, how big should the eyes be and how big should the pieces be that I plant? I've never tried potatoes, but have always wanted to. How many potatoes do you get from each plant?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you can use potatoes that have started to grow eyes from the store. The so called eyes can be any length. And you can cut the potatoes (with what people generally say threee eyes or more (but, it doesn't really matter) ) into thirds to maximimize your planting.

The number of potatoes depends on what type of potatoe you are growing, the soil type, the climate, watering and so on. It would be good for you if you found out what type of potatoes that you are growing because, that way you'll know if you should harvest it in summer, fall or possibly even winter.

I had a minimum of 38 potatoes on my fingerling plants last year. My purple potatoes were a little less prolific and the Yukon Golds had about a dozen though, some of the potatoes had grown together and fused to form these monster sized potatoes. Lots of fun.

There are more than 500 different varieties of potatoe out there (and probably more than that) so, try some wierd and wonderful varieties that you can get at local nurseries, on the internet and so on.

Fingerlings are great and all blue, all red and other such varieties add a nice touch of colour to the dinner plate.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”