imafan26
Mod

Garden covers and other pest controls

Birds
Birds are a problem for me because they break into the attic vents and nest in my rafter and attic spaces. It cost me $700 a few months ago to replace vent covers the painters removed and to clean out the bird nests. 45 vent covers cost $120. The vent covers were caulked in. I got metal covers not plastic ones. By law, pest control companies cannot kill the birds.

Cover pots seeded on an open bench with another tray or under mesh netting, so the birds won't eat the seeds (especially chili seeds) out of the pots.

Birds and rats love sluggo. They will eat it and come back for more. I have changed to other types of
snail bait. Sulfur and ferrous iron that they are not attracted to.

Bird netting. Hoops and frames covered with bird netting or plastic fencing to keep birds out. It needs to be well anchored at the bottom so nothing can get under it. I have smart birds.

I have to put additional barriers between the frames of my orchid benches, 90 degrees to the fence. This isolates each section so if the birds get in, they cannot strafe the entire 100 ft length of fence like they used to. Bulbuls are especially fond of orchid buds and petals. Orchidists don't want bees to randomly pollinate the orchids.

Insect netting:
Fine mesh netting comes in sheets, and bags. This can stop anything larger than the mesh, unlike row covers. It allows, air, water and does not block much light, but also does not trap heat. It does not stop diseases and mites can still get through it. It needs to be exclusive to work. The base of the netting needs to be secured. Low tunnels can use 8 ft wide netting, but you would need larger netting for higher tunnels. Supports for netting can be pvc, electrical conduit, ladder mesh, or even flexible tubing ( soaker tubing or pex). the supports can be anchored with pipe clamps, or rebar. To keep flexible tubing from bending in, additional braces may be needed. Hoops over garden beds can be hinged for easy access. The same supports can be used for shade cloth or plastic covers. The other layers can go over the insect netting. It is important to inspect the netting for damage regularly.

Mesh bags can cover individual or groups of fruit depending on the size. For longer fruit, I have used onion mesh bags with small mesh, Tree bags can cover small shrubs, trees, or individual vegetables.

plastic construction fencing works to fit over frames built for containers for birds. Climbing plants climb on regular bird netting, but can be removed from plastic fencing easier. I can attach sections of fencing together with thin wire to make it larger.

Before I found mesh bags, I used tulle and mosquito netting which is easier to find locally as covers.

In a hot climate even the lightest row cover trapped too much heat.

Window screen can be cut to line the bottoms pots to keep slugs and snails from eating the plant roots, It can also be used on worm bins air holes to let air in but keep bugs out.

Window screen can be used as a debris filter on rain barrels. If it is secured properly it helps to keep mosquitoes out. So does a mosquito dunk.

In the summer, plants can sunburn. Shade cloth or tarps can be put over the top of the frames to block more light.

Plastic or tarps can be put over part of the frame to protect the plants from excess rain. Tarps have to be secured with extra ropes or straps, Unlike mesh, the air won't pass through them. I have sheets of plexiglass that I use on top of my shade cloth to keep the orchids from getting too much rain. It can be removed and is heavier than tarp so it is easier to secure with weights. Phylon would be an alternative for larger benches or frames where you want to let light in, but don't want any overhead water. Temporary rain covers cannot be used in high winds.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”