Mr P
Newly Registered

How eradicate this disease?

Hello

I am not a gardener. On of the shrubs in my garden, I noticed the black dots a few days ago and now it has taken over. See the picture.

Any idea what it is and how I could eradicate it?

Mr P
Attachments
Shurb 01.jpg
Shurb 02.jpg
Shurb 03.jpg

applestar
Mod

Welcome to the forum !

Quick first thoughts
- I think this might be a Siberian Pea Shrub … did it have yellow flowers earlier, followed by narrow pea-like pods (I think that’s what I’m seeing here)

- Those fine webbing are immediate lead to suspect spider mites

- At the same time, those visible black dots in clusters look like black aphids

(You may have both… or it’s possible the black dots are mold feeding on sticky dew produced by the sucking mites….)

First thing to do is blast the shrub with as strong spray of water from the garden hose-end attachment as the plant will tolerate — unfortunately if this is peashrub, the leaves will be tender and also would not tolerate daily dousing (too much water)

Next if we can determine if those black things are aphids, you could start with relatively minor insecticidal soap spray

Try to get a close up pic or see if they squish easily

Also get a whole shrub view so we can decide if the shrub can be trimmed back to get rid of worst affected parts to dispose of clustered pests

Mr P
Newly Registered

Many thanks for reply. You are right the shrub has yellow flowers earlier.

I will try the remedies suggested and keep you updated.

Mr P
applestar wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:23 am
Welcome to the forum !

Quick first thoughts
- I think this might be a Siberian Pea Shrub … did it have yellow flowers earlier, followed by narrow pea-like pods (I think that’s what I’m seeing here)

- Those fine webbing are immediate lead to suspect spider mites

- At the same time, those visible black dots in clusters look like black aphids

(You may have both… or it’s possible the black dots are mold feeding on sticky dew produced by the sucking mites….)

First thing to do is blast the shrub with as strong spray of water from the garden hose-end attachment as the plant will tolerate — unfortunately if this is peashrub, the leaves will be tender and also would not tolerate daily dousing (too much water)

Next if we can determine if those black things are aphids, you could start with relatively minor insecticidal soap spray

Try to get a close up pic or see if they squish easily

Also get a whole shrub view so we can decide if the shrub can be trimmed back to get rid of worst affected parts to dispose of clustered pests

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”