desert_firefly
Newly Registered

Slugs - Super new at gardening

Hi -

I'm super new at the whole gardening thing. I recently moved to the Pacific Northwest from California. Now that I have a garden, I'm trying to take care of it.

I believe I may be allergic to Ortho slug killer, and I am looking for a more organic way of running off (killing) these strange looking things (especially since we need to take care of the Earth). I haven't seen a ton of these nasty things yet, but I would like to work on the issue before it gets bad.

I would appreciate any advice or direction.

Thank you!

imafan26
Mod

You can go snail hunting at night with a flashlight or in the early morning with a ziploc bag that has about a tablespoon of salt in it.
You can put out beer or yeast traps, wet a rough board and prop it up on one end or on bricks. Check under them in the morning. snails like to hide in the daytime. Look under pots and large leaved plants in moist places. You can also use the shell from half a grapefruit as a trap. If you live out where it is more rural, a chicken makes a good insect and slug catcher. They will also eat lettuce seedlings and other tender plants and they have a nasty habit of pooping and eating at the same time, so you will need to keep them off places you don't want them to be in.

You can try a different bait. I don't know which ortho bait you got. If is does not have iron phosphate, try that one.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! I had to look it up - the Ortho slug and snail killer has 1% sulfur listed as the active ingredient; though I didn't see it listed as organic, maybe it's a different sulfur compound, as sulfur is used as an organic fungicide, as well as adding to soil to bring pH down in organic gardens. However, I never used it for slugs - I also use the iron phosphate granules, mentioned above. Sluggo is the best known brand, and works great for me. I always sprinkle some well in advance when planting greens, and where I have a plastic sheet or landscape fabric for a mulch, or in my Earthboxes and other SIPs, I sprinkle some before putting the sheets down.

imafan26
Mod

Elemental is NOP organic. It has been used for thousands of years. It can be irritating, I use a vapor mask for dusts, sprays, and perlite which can be inhalation hazards. It usually is fine once it is wet. It is acidic so, even more so, it should be handled with gloves and you should wear protective clothing.

Sulfur should work on the slugs and snails as well.

Methaldehyde lasts longer. It is not organic but is good for perimeter controlling snails and slugs in ornamental areas.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”