TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Little white flies on my okra!

HELP, my okra plants are infested with trillions of little white flies! What should I do? Will the garden hose take care of them? All I have to to is barely touch the plants and swarms and swarms of the nasty flies go everywhere!!!
Attachments
IMG_20201005_090935.jpg

applestar
Mod

- do you have a portable vac ? let them swarm and pick them off in the air
- spray underside of leaves with insecticidal soap or properly mixed neem or spinosad IF you see classic rings of eggs
- water spray with hose should help to reduce adult population also

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I have a portable van. It's not very strong though. I'll stay with the hose this afternoon and spray underneath the leaves with insecticidal soap to see if that works. If not, I'll try the vacuum. Thanks Applestar!

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Let them have it.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I blasted with the hose this afternoon and flies went everywhere in major swarms. I just got through spraying with insecticidal soap, but I didn't have much, and didn't make it far. It's hard spraying approximately 20 huge plants. I'll have to just mix up some Spinosad.

applestar
Mod

like I said, concentrate on treating for the eggs and nymphs — they don’t fly away and are vulnerable

vacuuming them when flying is effective — think Incredibles — “ NO CAPE!”

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I'll try the vacuum, but the fly infestation is so severe I'm afraid I'm at a loss. I was out pruning and every plant that I touched sent off a sworm of those white flies. They're too bad! I've never seen anything like it, I've NEVER had problems with them!

applestar
Mod

I’ve read that whiteflies are one of those super pesticide resistant pests by now due to overuse/adaptation ....

... this is just my personal impression, not based on any factual research, but around here, unusual pest infestation typically occurred after hurricane/tropical storm system has dragged from southwest or up the coastline and through this area.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

My pest population seems to be bad BEFORE a hurricane... Delta is on the way. Say, maybe if I get heavy rain from it, that'll take care of the adults. Tomorrow I'll try the vacuum, but it will take several times to get a bunch.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”