TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Worms

Okay so these are the nasty things I'm finding on my stuff. They range in size from the itty bitty one to the big fat one. What are they?
Attachments
IMG_20200526_090617.jpg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I don't recognize those worms. I have very large white color worms in my garden soil the size of my little finger they only have 8 legs on one end of their body. I have no clue what they are. I found 6 worms & put them in the bird feeder when I looked 15 minutes later they are all gone.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You are thinking that they are the same but of different ages?

The picture seems to show yellow stripes on both.

There are armyworms that have yellow stripes. I don't believe they are here.

Steve

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:15 am
I don't recognize those worms. I have very large white color worms in my garden soil the size of my little finger they only have 8 legs on one end of their body. I have no clue what they are. I found 6 worms & put them in the bird feeder when I looked 15 minutes later they are all gone.
@Gary, I believe you just described grubs. And yep, they make a great bird snack! :twisted: I hate those things, I'll find them when hoeing.

imafan26
Mod

They do look like army worms. The army worms I know eat mostly grass roots, but they will also infest tomatoes and peppers. I don't have a lot of caterpillar problems with mynahs, cattle egrets, and anoles in the garden patrol.
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef321

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:29 am
You are thinking that they are the same but of different ages?

The picture seems to show yellow stripes on both.

There are armyworms that have yellow stripes. I don't believe they are here.

Steve
Yes, I believe the two in my photo are the same type of worm, but just different ages. They're eating on all my stuff: tomatoes, peppers, onions, peas and squash. 😖 I just pick them of and turn them into mashed green gut. 😝

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:05 pm
They do look like army worms. The army worms I know eat mostly grass roots, but they will also infest tomatoes and peppers. I don't have a lot of caterpillar problems with mynahs, cattle egrets, and anoles in the garden patrol.
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef321
@Imafan, thank-you so much, those are exactly what they are then: Yellow-striped Armyworm! Nasty, nasty things! I am doing my best to just hand pick. According to the website link you gave me, they are best sprayed young, as the elder worms are more tolerant to insecticides. One of the pieces of disgust had taken a couple of bites out of my Big Bertha. :evil: :evil:

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”