prplchkj
Newly Registered

Companion Gardening for Insect and Animal Control

Hi,

I've got a container vegetable garden in my back yard. Over the years I've been trying to plant companion plants to manage things like aphids. (The only think I've used a spray for are tomato worms)

I planted marigolds to (hopefully) discourage aphids. I also have a pot with dill in it for the same purpose. I keep trying nasturtiums but the seeds

This year I've got new problems. They are eating the leaves on my plants. (I'm told one reason for the new animals is the California fires.)
My broccoli plants
My broccoli plants
Collard Greens
Collard Greens
One person told me it could be mice (I can't use the word rat. <shiver>). I was assuming it was raccoons.

Currently I'm putting peppermint and spearmint plants out.

My question is... Can anyone suggest any other plants that would help repel creatures looking to eat the plants in my garden?

applestar
Mod

Wow that is significant damage!
Not just overnight? Do you have any pics from first time you noticed nibbling? Sometimes that helps to ID. Interesting that central leaf vein is not being eaten.

It wasn’t caterpillars like the white cabbage butterfly?

It’s difficult to repel animals with just companion planting and you definitely need to know what you are up against. You would need to know if you are going to trap them, too.

Consider getting motion sensor alarms/lights or night vision trail cam to catch the culprit in the act. You could also try leaving something powdery on the ground to obtain track marks.

If you are not going to use traps, then you need to use physical barriers — fences etc. and you need the size of opening that will keep them out.

For containers, you might try placing them inside pet play pens if NOT climbing animals or birds, OR I’ve often thought large wire animal/bird cages and crates might work too (the kind with slide out bottom trays that could be removed) — I see them offered on Craigslist sometimes.

prplchkj
Newly Registered

That was indeed overnight. That's why I convinced myself that it was raccoons. I had seen a couple in the neighborhood and they seemed big enough to do that much damage in one night. What I'm seeing now is smaller. (I pulled the broccoli and planted carrots. I'll post a picture of that damage ASAP.)

I have been looking for a camera. I had not considered trying to get tracks. That's an excellent idea. The cage is a good idea also. I'll definitely consider that option. Thank you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Raccoons would be more likely to pull the plant and leave a big trampled mess.

Ground hogs leave that kind of damage and can indeed eat a bunch of plants over night.

Companion planting is helpful for keeping insects away. It doesn't bother big animals at all. IME (and I have a bunch of experience gardening where there are lots of ground hogs, raccoons, possums and other critters around), the only thing that works is fencing. There is inexpensive, easy to put up and take down plastic net fencing that hooks to metal stakes (that you can buy with it), that is good enough to keep critters out.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”