Dawg

What kills Stink Bugs ???

The "stink bug" is the worst bug I have, next is aphids. But neem oil and lady bugs got them in check. I just can't find anything that works well on these nasty "STINK BUGS"

any help would be great.... TY :)

imafan26
Mod

Stink bugs are hard to control. Insect netting helps but even that is not foolproof. Hand picking, trap cropping and inviting natural predators are other methods. For me it is a seasonal problem, and the damage is not that great, so I go with hand picking and it helps diversify plantings. I rarely plant anything in a row and I intercrop. It protects plants from many different kinds of problems simply by not setting up a buffet for the bugs in the first place.

https://articles.extension.org/pages/62 ... ms-webinar

applestar
Mod

I don’t know if this will help but —

- Adult stink bugs are really resistant to the level of organic sprays I’m willing to use, but nymphs and juvies will keel over from just soapy water. Adult stink bugs will die if handpicked and dropped in soapy water.

- In wintertime, I find bigger sturdier spiders like jumping spiders and wolf spiders munching on stink bugs that have gotten into the garage to overwinter. I love it when the black green-fanged jumping spiders assign themselves to patrol my V8 Nursery winter indoor garden.

- outside, I have seen praying mantids and predatory stinkbugs clutching the pest stinkbugs. And I have found stinkbugs wings and bodies. I would assume some birds eat them too.

- mainly in my garden, I look for egg clusters and hatching events and try to get them at those stages. Telltale signs are wilted or yellowed cucurbit leaves as well as yellow spot where the egg laying adults have been feeding or just hatched nymphs are mass-feeding (cut off entire leaf and stomp into the ground)

- oh a member has reported that the stinkbugs crawl out of hiding to top of leaves ... or maybe they slow down/stay still? ... if you overhead sprinkler/spray the vegetation first.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with applestar about watching closely for the egg clusters and getting rid of them

And for me watering the base of my plants with hose drives the stinkbugs to the top where they can be more easily found and caught.

Also amaranth and okra are trap crops for them, also crimson clover and vetch, sorghum, millet, buckwheat, and sunflower, mustard Grow some near your regular crops (starting early, so the trap crop is pretty well growing, by the time the tomatoes or whatever are planted). Then watch your trap crop closely for stinkbugs. When you see them, just pull the plant and bag it. If you put the bag in the sun and leave it for awhile until the bugs are cooked, you probably could compost the plant.

If you see them, you can suck them up with a hand vacuum, like a Dirt Devil or Shark or whatever. But if you are going to do this, have a dedicated garden vacuum, don't bring it back in the house. They are called stinkbugs for a reason and your vacuum will smell nasty!

You can make a stinkbug trap. I have used it indoors for ones that come in the house, but it should work outdoors with a battery powered lantern or a strong flashlight as light source. Set up large clear glass bowl or translucent white one filled with very soapy water, with a bright light shining directly on it or through it, so that the water in the bowl glows/ shines. Stinkbugs are attracted to the light and will come and drown themselves.

In the long run, ladybugs, lacewings and other insects prey on the eggs and birds, toads and other critters will eat the bugs. You want to have lots of the kinds of flowers that attract beneficial insects and lots of bird feeders, bird baths, etc to keep birds around through the winter. The aim is to have your garden eco-system pretty well in balance, but that doesn't happen in a season.

applestar
Mod

Oh! maybe that’s what I misremembered @rainbowgardener. Water the base of the plants, check!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”