penelope3621
Newly Registered

What kind of worm is this ?

Hi!
I recently planted few pots of oat grass for my cats to eat and they just sprouted the other day. Every time I water the pots, there would be thin thread-like, I think semi translucent worms that would squirm about in the surface. I'm not sure if they are the "good" worms that are beneficial for the plants or parasitic worms from animal manure. If they are parasitic worms, are they harmful to the plants itself? Could I give them to my cats still? or would I have to throw it away.

I'm also a beginner and would like some help. Thank you!
worm2.jpg
worm.jpg
I'll try take some better pictures the next time I water them

applestar
Mod

You are in NZ so any part or none of this may apply, but I think they look like horsehair worm —
Horsehair Worm | Horticulture and Home Pest News
https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/horsehair-worm

Horsehair worms are completely harmless. They do not infest people, livestock, pets or plants. They are beneficial because of the small percentage of crickets that they kill. No control measures are needed when this interesting worm is found.

penelope3621
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply!

It does look like a horsehair worm but the worm in the picture doesn't look like it moves like a horsehair worm. It moves more fluidly and sporadically. Is there any way for me to upload a video? it says that .mp4 extension is not allowed

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”