MattSyd
Newly Registered

Please help me identify pest

Hi everyone,

It would be great if someone could please help me identify the pest that has befallen my indoor plant.

I already washed off most of the web's and little guys from the leaves just using water and a rag, but there are some left at the root of the leaves etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
20180915_071842.jpg

applestar
Mod

The pests are spider mites. I posted a detailed treatment in a different discussion which I will copy and paste here. What is your plant? There will be some cultural difference with the marigold discussed here. On the plus side, Smooth flat leaves would be easier to treat compared to tiny marigold leaves, etc.

Subject: My Marigold seems to be dying. Please help!
applestar wrote:The tiny white spots on the leaves to the right and the webbing on the branch to the left indicate severe mite infestation. Cut off the web encased branch and dispose of it — that one is not salvageable.

First thing to do is to wrap the top of the pot with plastic (bag or wrap) so the potting mix doesn’t fall out and dunk and thoroughly swish the plant in a deep bucket of water. You will want to remove the opened flowers before starting because they will be damaged by such treatment. If you want to cut and enjoy the flowers, gently soak them wrapped in paper towels to completely submerge and treat separately, since you don’t want to spread the mites that will be on the flowers elsewhere.

Start with plain water and see how much you can get off. Then change water and use plain soap (not detergent) so the water becomes cloudy, then add a few drops of very light, refined oil like canola/rapeseed oil. Thoroughly swish the plant in this — dunking in and out and side to side, turn upright and allow to drip onto the plastic covering the pot and potting mix. Then remove the plastic and allow to drip down to the potting mix as well. Take the opportunity to thoroughly soap-clean the outside of the pot (don’t forget to clean the surface of the area where the pot was situated). DO NOT PUT THE PLANT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT.

After 5 minutes, rinse thoroughly in clear plain water. Keep the potting mix from drying out but leave in bright light but only filtered sun, isolated in quarantine from your other plants.

Repeat every 3 days for 2 weeks.

Note that this is a drastic treatment. Your plant may or may not survive it, especially since it is very badly infested. But at the end of it, you will have tried. If you are not up to it, I’m pretty sure the advice would be to chuck the plant, especially an annual like marigold. Since you will be subjecting it to water so much, be careful that it doesn’t get OVERwatered. If secondary fungal/mold infection is a possibility (humid climate), add 1/2 teaspoon per quart of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or if you can get it potassium bicarbonate to the treatment water. You can also spray with 1:7 milk:water solution between treatments (this will also provide a small amount of nutrients without over feeding the sick plant).

If new buds and shoots start to grow and the plant shows signs of recovery, it will be a good idea to uppot it — the current pot is too small and is likely stressing it, making it vulnerable to infestation and disease.

MattSyd
Newly Registered

Thank you! Will trial this today

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”