tarunlohumi
Newly Registered

Pest identification help needed - Avocado plant.

Hello there, I am new to the forum and I'm in really bad need of some advice. I have my avocado plant in my backyard which is around 3ft & is trying to grow a lot of leaves however, I see that some pest is eating off the leaves and causing a lot of damage to the plant. Haven't been able to spot the pest at night with a flashlight. Here are a few pictures. It would be great if anyone of your can share any experiences that might help with this situation.
IMG_0610.jpg
IMG_0612.jpg

tarunlohumi
Newly Registered

Some more pictures.
IMG_0613.jpg
IMG_0614.jpg
IMG_0608.jpg

applestar
Mod

My #1 suspect is a slug — likely a very large mature one. When I bring my avo’s indoors for the winter, they begin to get freshly chewed leaves like this along the tender leaf edges near the top. Eventually I find them, but they are very good at hiding. I’m not too worried since indoors, numbers are limited to only the stowaways, but outdoors, you may want to use a trap or organic bait/poison like Sluggo.

But try tipping the container (if it’s in a container) over and look underneath ... also under any other objects like rocks in the vicinity.

The browned leaves may have been sunburned.

tarunlohumi
Newly Registered

Thanks applestar,

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the burnt leaves as the plant is growing new leaves at an amazing pace.

Hmmm...that's weird because the plant is like almost 3ft high and almost no leaves on the rest of the stem. So, I would be surprised if a slug/snail can reach that high to cause so much damage. Also, I have found slugs in the other parts of my backyard which has other veggies, but all my attempts to find this one have gone waste, haven't found one. I have been out with a flash light multiple times at night and looked under he leaves and everything and nothing. So I doubt if this is the work of a slug. Also, because there are no holes in the middle of the leaves, they are eaten from the edge-in while what I have noticed on other plants attacked by slugs is that they usually leave big holes in the leaves.

Thoughts?

applestar
Mod

My avocados are 5 ft tall including the 5 gal buckets they are planted in, so height hasn’t much bearing. Outside, they climb my 5 ft fence to get to apple and pear trees. If it’s anything else, I haven’t found it in the 5 months they are inside for the cold weather. I just think avocado leaf veins are too tough and they find it easier chomp along the soft edge of the leaves....

But if you do find it’s another culprit, please post so I can keep an eye out for it. I suppose it could be a cutworm or other moth caterpillar and they either pupate or turn into one the various moths that are discovered but not associated with the avocado damage.

tarunlohumi
Newly Registered

applestar,

That's good to know. I'll put a shallow container with some beer in it next to the plant tonight & hope to catch this monster :)

Regards,

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”