SloppyButDecent
Newly Registered

New Member - need help to ID tomato issue

Hello everyone,

I am doing some hydroponic tomatoes here in Central Florida and everything has been going amazingly well until about a week ago when my leaves started dying! I am not too keen on tomato diseases and was looking for some insight. Thanks in advance!
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1507.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Some kind of fungal disease; I'm not sure which one. You didn't show a lot of stem close ups. Look for stem discolorations like this:

That is characteristic of late blight, which would be very bad news. If you find that, your plants are basically trash.

Otherwise, all the fungal diseases have pretty much the same treatments.

To start with, you need to spread your pots away from each other a lot more so there is more air circulation between them. I would prune some of the excess branches for better air circulation and so the plants can't touch each other. Quit watering the leaves. All you want is the water and nutrients on the roots. Water touching the leaves just helps create and spread disease.

Cut off and dispose of any leaves showing disease signs. Then spray all the remaining leaves top and bottom with some kind of anti-fungal: hydrogen peroxide, diluted milk, baking soda solution. You can't mix these, but you can rotate them. You will need to keep treating your plants every couple weeks or so.

applestar
Mod

In hydro, another danger is probably the circulating solution that might spread the disease.

I hope someone else more familiar could advice — I wonder if you need to do anything drastic like dumping, cleaning the set up, and mixing fresh solution? Or maybe it’s possible to treat the solution somehow? I wonder how much that would stress the plants?

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”