Cybergoomba
Newly Registered

Invasive Clover-like Plant Taking Over the Lawn

Does anyone know what this is (see photos) and have any ideas for how to keep it from taking over and destroying my lawn? I am of course, interested in all ideas esp. for organically dealing with the problems (poisons / chemicals do not work).
Attachments
Photo of Invader
Photo of Invader

PaulF
Greener Thumb

That is an invasive weed called Creeping Charlie or ground ivy. If allowed, it will take over the lawn. It is also very difficult to get rid of. Pulling helps some but the way it reproduces it can take years to get it all. Some people recommend starting all over by covering the area with tarps, killing everything and reseeding. It is hated that much.

If you want to use chemicals, fall application is the time when the plant is sending nutrients to the roots and the proper chemical will go to the roots and kill the plant that way...and even this takes several years.

Look up creeping charlie on the net. There is a lot of more complete info on line.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

type creeping charlie into the search box at top left and it will bring up 76 threads about it here. We've had a lot of discussion about how to deal with it.

Cybergoomba
Newly Registered

Thanks!

MoonShadows

I just noticed some of this growing in my backyard the other day. I better get on it before it becomes a big problem.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Or learn to love it! :) It is a low growing ground cover that never needs mowing. It has pretty little flowers in spring. It is a member of the mint family. European settlers brought creeping charlie with them to America for its culinary and medicinal uses. Since it is extremely rich in vitamin C, it was often made into a tea and used to prevent scurvy.

Here's a little article about the reputed medicinal uses of it:
https://lambshoppe.com/why-I-love-creeping-charlie/

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”