johnsmith22
Newly Registered

Indoor soil bug problem

Hey all I am having some pest problems I started a jalapeno plant grow dec. 2017 and lately I have been noticing little critters in my soil and my pepper plant leaves are curling in on them selves I am using fox farm ocean forest soil with 30% vermiculite and 5% peat moss. I've used captain jacks dead bug pesticide along with Bonide tomato and veg pesticide to no avail any help would be appreciated. I created a short youtube video showing the little buggers in action

applestar
Mod

It might be best if you posted some pics of the plant. The critter is so tiny it’s hard to tell, but it looks like springtail to me, which should not be the culprit.

One possibility — I’m starting to find aphids on my overwintered pepper plants. If you had some warm days enough to thaw the ground a little, ants may have ventured out and pastured their aphids on your plant. Sucking insects can cause curled leaf symptoms, especially on tender young growths.

johnsmith22
Newly Registered

here are a few pictures I have not moved it from outdoors it has been started indoors and has remained indoors and the grow area has been sanitized and a perimeter of home defense bug killer has been applied around the entire house and I even sprayed some around the grow area to keep ants or the like from getting to the plant. I have meticulously inspected the tops and underside of the leaves and cant see any signs of a infestation or disease above the soil. This is only my second attempt at growing these peppers indoors and this is exactly what happend last time. I am wondering if I possibly just picked up a contaminated batch of soil or something but not sure.
IMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG

applestar
Mod

Hmm... not seeing any sign of bugs on the foliage either, so let’s go back to that critter on the soil. If that was a springtail I saw, it would be indication that the soil is staying too moist. Peppers are sensitive to overwatering. How are you watering it? Do you check the moisture level with your finger? Heft-test?

johnsmith22
Newly Registered

So I water every 9-12days depending on the feel of the soil (finger test) (also by weight) I knew going in that overwatering is common so I tried keeping that in mind by checking until it feels dry then give it an additional 2 day before water. Just to add more info I’m using a 150 watt hps on 18-6 grow temps range from 82 lights on and 72 lights off humidity is at a steady 28 percent. I also have a small 6 in fan blowing through the grow area but not aimed directly at the plants

johnsmith22
Newly Registered

Alright so I have a bit of an update last time I grew these plants all the symptoms have been the same the foilage was great till about two days ago now I have some updated photos that could shed some light on my problems. I noticed clear crystal looking development on the under sides of the leaves and a new dark spot on one of the leaves. Hopefully this helps diagnose the problems.
IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0932.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

spider mites.

johnsmith22
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:spider mites.
Thank you so how would I eradicate them from my plant? I used bonide deadbug it says its supposed to help kill spider mites but I guess its not working...
bonide-lawn-insect-pest-control-2506-64_1000.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

type spider mites into the search box at top left corner of the page. It will pop up 88 threads about them! :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”