baNINAsplitt
Newly Registered

What's happening to my rosemary?

My rosemary started getting brown stuff on its leaves and it's growing sideways as well. How do I remove the brown stuff and how do I get it to grow upright?

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
7583947840_IMG_8065.jpg
7583947840_IMG_8064.jpg

applestar
Mod

Sideways growth is almost certainly because there is a stronger light source in the direction it is reaching for. Move the plant closer to the light and/or rotate the pot by 1/4 turn every couple of days. If the light is INsufficient, then the plant will become elongated, but by rotating you will force the direction of the growth to remain upright.

The browning symptom might be related to the mint’s. — my first impulse is to suspect some kind of sucking pest. The light marks on the mint might be an obvious clue — I Have a suspicion but hoping someone else will confirm first because it’s not one I’m personally familiar with. With the rosemary, my own first suspect would be mites which is different from what I thought with the mint.

In any case, try examining under the leaves closely with some kind of magnifier — at Least 10x. A jeweler’s loupe or magnifying lense is an essential gardening tool. Sometimes, an option is to use your phone/camera and take macro photos, then look at the images on a computer/larger screen device.

For now, wash the leaves with strong running water or spray from under the leaves with plain water twice a week. Be careful not to wet the rosemary soil too much (wrap with plastic first)

baNINAsplitt
Newly Registered

Thank you so much! :)

baNINAsplitt
Newly Registered

I checked the under part of my mint leaves with a 6x microscope I think? and this is what I saw. I ended up focusing more on the black dots under the leaves but I also a few of the white dots. Do you know what they are?
Attachments
23D0AF03-289F-40F9-ABEE-7CA77976AFFD.jpeg
09397BF1-6AAA-4E0B-A130-A3C4D458803D.jpeg
FD4243C5-3A58-4277-8946-690C0F4F465D.jpeg

imafan26
Mod

They don't have a regular shape so I think they are areas of necrotic tissue or broken cells. I suspect it may be a fungal problem. Rosemary does not make a good houseplant. It requires high light and well drained soil that is allowed to dry between watering.
Considering the leaves are turning, there probably is not enough light and even though the soil should drain well, I only keep cuttings in perlite because even rosemary requires some nutrients and perlite doesn't really provide much. Perlite is able to hold on to some water for a while so it can still stay wet inside for an extended time.
As long as it is not freezing outside try to keep the rosemary in a bright but sheltered location on sunny days. No saucer under the pot and feed the plant 1/4 strength miracle grow once a month. Indoors keep the plant either by a window (turn the plant daily) or place a fluorescent light about 4 inches above the plant for at least 12-14 hours a day.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”