pramod
Newly Registered

My brinjal plant is infected

Hi,

My brinjal plant leaves are infected with some white cocoon like thing. This usually happens under the leaf and spreads quickly. The leaves turns curly after some time. And this spreads to other plants too. I have also attached my peepal tree leave having something similar. Are these both same?

Can you please identify what this is and how to cure the plant? Also, it would be great if you can help me how to prevent this in future.

Cheers!!
Attachments
brinjal.jpg
peepal.jpg

applestar
Mod

They look somewhat similar to wooly aphids to me. Try using alcohol soaked cotton swabs to touch and remove the ones on top of the leaves as soon as you see them, and then wipe down the colony on the back of the leaves with something bigger — like cotton balls or folded paper towels. The ones on the back of the leaves might be just nymphs and susceptible to being wiped off with dilute mixture of soap (not detergent) suds, alcohol and a drop of light oil like safflower or rapeseed oil.

After treating, spray and rinse down the plant with plain water.

If you see ladybeetles or spiders, catch them and put them to work patrolling the plant.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have been blowing those away with my garden hose. 99% always seem to be on the under side of the leaves. I turn the water on then squeeze the water sprayer just enough to get a hard cone spray. I wave the nozzle back and forth under all the leaves then stop to inspect the leaves. If the first spray does not remove them all the second spray will. I know this does not kill them but being eggs they can not return to the leaves on their own. I hate to get my soil wet all that does is make grass and weeds grow. I do dry gardening I never have grass or weeds because I never water.

imafan26
Mod

Knocking them off works with water or alcohol. I just spray them with alcohol in the early morning, then hose them down. It helps to put out ant bait. If you have aphids, mealy bugs, and scale, chances are the ants are nearby protecting them. Plant nectary plants to attract beneficial insects. They do a much better job of taking care of pests than anything we do.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”