applestar
Mod

Practice -- spot-the critter

Can you find the critter in this photo? When I was reviewing the pictures I took this morning, at first I couldn't remember what this was. I tried to recall if I had accidentally clicked the camera shutter button on the iPad. Then I remembered what I took a picture of, but could NOT find it for quite a while. I actually thought maybe I had somehow strayed the angled and missed the critter.

OK I have an advantage because I knew what I was looking for. I will give you 2 hints.

Hint 1 -- the critter is in the left half of the photo
Hint 2 -- the critter is upside-down
(Bonus Hint 3 -- you can tap/click for enlarged zoomable 2MP view)

OK -- go! :-()

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Lower left corner. Just above the rim of the pot. A tan/beige color. Some kind of caterpillar. :?: :?: :?:

:eek:

applestar
Mod

Nooo... there are dried leaf and/or the mite russeted older/woody pepper stem there. (I zoomed in to make sure hehe)

imafan26
Mod

I need more zoom. I think I see a cigar shaped green thing and a small almost the same color green ovoid thing with 3 black dots on the right margin of the leaf and just below where the green stem starts to curve up.

There is something on the lower part of the picture at the tip of the fine leafed plant that sits on the larger leaf in the foreground.

applestar
Mod

Oooh I think you are close. Go with your first instinct. This might be more difficult for you because it maybe a different species with subtle variations in shape and characteristics than you are used to, @imafan.

imafan26
Mod

I think it is a green lacewing. I think I see clear wings.

applestar
Mod

Think bigger -- I think your sense of scale is off ... I bet plants in my garden are smaller and skimpier-looking than what you have in yours. Stuff like peppers are runty and small even after a full season when planted in the ground or regular and small pots. They get much bigger in raised beds and much MUCH bigger in storage tub SIP.

applestar
Mod

I'll post the answer this afternoon. Then you can try to find it if you want. :wink:

applestar
Mod

OK – I told ya even I had trouble and I was the one that took the picture. haha

It's a North American native Carolina Praying Mantis. This means it is not long and slender like the European or Asian species, has shorter fat swollen abdomen and it's wing casings only extend half way over the abdomen like a waistcoat/tailcoat, leaving the bottom half uncovered.

This one is green (obviously) – her? (I think her) abdomen is somewhat frosted green – but I believe they turn tan as the fall weather deepens and grass and plants start to dry up. I saw one on harvested cornstalk with drying leaves that was perfectly camouflaged tan and green.

imafan26
Mod

Ok, I would not have guessed that, but to be honest we would not have that here. I don't even see grasshoppers that much, but the mynahs and cattle egret probably take care of a lot of those. I did think it could be a locust, but I never saw one that color. Thanks for the fun game.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I thought it might be that funny light green thing. Didn't see her head until you said what it was.

I don't believe they change color once they are mature although I could be wrong. I have one on my grapevine that has been brown since he was a tiny guy.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”