JodiInVA-USA

Brassicas overwhelmed by tiny white bugs

Hi, I hope someone can advise me. My kale, brussels sprouts, cabbage, etc. have been invaded by thousands of tiny white bugs. When I touch the leaves they jump/fly up, then settle back in. Earlier in the season I noticed small milky white circles on the undersides of the leaves - possibly something like cocoons of these things? At first there were a few, and I harvested kale leaves, just washed them well before eating. Then there were so many, and lots of holes in the leaves, that I just pulled out and trashed what was left. All those nasty bugs are now settled in my brussels sprouts plants, and I'm wondering if I need to pull all remaining brassicas from the garden and dispose of them, or can stick it out and get some brussels sprouts to eat (some of them are getting to be about pea-sized or larger, which is exciting b/c I've never successfully grown them before). I also have noticed a few beetles that might be Harlequin bugs?? Not sure if they're somehow related, or a different/additional problem.

Basic question in the short-term: Is there a way to organically manage these, and is it OK to eat the veggies that these bugs have been in? Or do I need to pull/sacrifice all of what has been growing all summer?

Longer-term question: I know crop rotation is important, but I also understand that interspersing a few plants of different varieties throughout beds helps deter pests from getting settled in. I only have about four raised beds, so I haven't figured out how to use my limited space to both avoid planting big bunches of the same thing together and also avoid having the same kinds of plants in/near the same spot in successive years. Should I choose one or the other approach and just stick with it?

Thank you!
Jodi

applestar
Mod

Definitely whiteflies. Those circles were eggs. With sturdy leaves like these, I think first step would be to just blast them off with water. If they are that infested, you may already have Garden Patrol among them munching away. This time of the year, they should ALL be out and about -- ladybugs, greenlacewings (look for white eggs on a strand sticking up above the leaves or on stems), any black or grey skinny slug-like with pointed head and tail are likely predator larvae.

Harlequin stink bugs are the WORST on these crops this time of the year. Get them while they're eggs -- distinctive black and white -- hatched nymphs are easy to squish, adults can be dropped in soapy water.

IMHO -- Best plants to intersperse are herbs and flowers that attract beneficial insects. Let cilantro bolt and bloom. I leave parsley and carrots, celery in the garden to overwinter and bloom next year. Mints, thyme, oregano, etc. could be planted in pots and moved around.

JodiInVA-USA

Thank you, Applestar!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”