pinksand
Greener Thumb

Decrease in Pest Populations

Has anyone else experienced changes in the populations of their insect pests this year?

I’m not sure how or why, but a lot of the major pests I’ve been plagued with each year have been minimally present in my garden this year, if at all (knock on wood! Japanese beetles have always destroyed my zinnias and oakleaf hydrangeas in particular. This year both seem to be free of the pests and are so much prettier. Another nightmare bug I’ve struggled with is the orange milkweed aphid. The past few years I’ve had hardly any blooms from my butterfly weed because they just get destroyed by these guys and then once the aphids are gone the poor plants get hit by milkweed bugs. So far I’ve had zero sign of the aphids and the plants are more beautiful than I’ve ever seen them in my garden. Fingers crossed that the milkweed bugs are minimal or just don’t show up at all either this year!

Another insect I’ve had trouble with every year is something that specifically attacks my mint and makes it so ugly I don’t feel like using it with all those brown spots. This year my mint has remained green and I’ve been able to use it in mojitos and other pretty drinks :D I’ve also noticed significantly fewer slugs this year now that I'm thinking about it.

I’ve never treated anything with chemicals or even neem oil, but have hand picked Japanese beetles and squashed or drowned them when I’ve had the motivation.

I’m not sure what has balanced itself out in my garden to have such a good year so far but I’m definitely going to hope for this luck in the future! I’ve upped my bird feeder game and have a greater variety of birds so it’s possible they’ve been helping me out. Not sure if the mild winter helped predatory insects gain in population… or if some other weather conditions could play some part as well?

Currently, the two problem bugs I’m dealing with are hibiscus sawfly larvae eating my rose mallow and some type of leaf miner eating my columbine. A couple days in a row I picked and drowned as many sawfly larvae as I could get my hands on. Then I realized it was really just faster to squish them right on the leaves. I’m hoping to put a dent in these populations as well so they aren’t such an issue next year. My poor rose mallow have been turned to brown lace with buds :cry:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Years ago, there was a growing season when my cabbage had so many cabbage loopers everything was shot with holes.

I didn't spray anything that year but went through morning after morning and picked off the worms. Couldn't find enough of them to save the cabbage.

The next year was a "yellow jacket year." There were so many of the wasps in the garden I had to be careful how I moved so as to not catch one against me or provoke an attack. I was more or less in the forest and there were hundreds of yards with no other residences in any direction. Dozens and dozens of yellow jackets patrolling my garden. I found a total of 2 cabbage loopers that year.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I see fewer slugs and snails now but I think that is because of the fact that it is summer and they are just hibernating. I am sure they will be back as soon as it cools and the rain starts coming more regularly

I am afraid the white flies, erineum hibiscus mites, thrips, mites, and peach scale have been right on time. The white flies are not as bad this year but I don't have corn either.

I am seeing more mice eating through the sluggo plastic container and bags and the cat caught 3 so far. The 747's are all over the place right now.

applestar
Mod

@Pinksand, It could certainly be because we had cooler temps than normal for a long time this spring. My garden planting and container plants summer vacation exodus were considerably delayed this year.

It could be the Predator-Prey balancing as previously mentioned. On the other hand, it could be that less number of overall insects have created a different dynamic

I have been seeing less cabbage white butterflies, but it turns out that Catbird Can Be A Garden Friend :D

...:shock: you might say hey, you made a mistake! You called catbird a garden friend!?

And any other day, I would agree with you. They are/were my number one nemesis when it comes to all berries blue, straw, rasp, as well as cherries.

But today, just as I opened the curtains at a window, a catbird flew into view, landed in the grass, hopped to catch something white mid-air, dashing it to the ground... then - I saw it - when the cabbage white weakly tried to flutter away, the catbird snatched it out of the air again and this time, bundled it up in its beaks and flew off.

Apparently, they are nesting near-by and discovered cabbage whites are gourmet treats for their young'uns! This is fantastic, because I *know* how persistent they can be. If they decided cabbage whites are good babayfood, it won't take long before they have cleared the sky of the white menace. :twisted: (Maybe I should attempt a fall crop of broccoli and cauliflower 8) )

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Although I only noticed orange aphids on one milkweed plant and they seemed to disappear overnight, the milkweed bugs are a tremendous nuisance this year! I definitely spoke too soon... their population is significantly higher than last year and they're breeding like mad!

Also, the sawfly larvae handpicking seemed to have no impact on their population either. My poor hibiscus are completely reduced to veiny lace with a few random blooms. The poor plants look awful. Since the blooms are sparse, should I attempt to treat with neem oil in the hope of keeping the sawfly population in check? I can very easily avoid the blooms.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's always something.... there's no aphids this year, but there's sawfly larvae. It's too hot or too wet or too dry...

I love growing things, but I could never stand to be a farmer and have my livelihood depend on this stuff...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I don't usually have much of a bug problem but this year my tomato plants have mites on the under side of the leaves. Tiny little gray color bugs smaller than a pin head. They are so small it is hard to tell they are bugs. Lots of bugs get on the under side of leaves soon the leaves develop lots of spots then leaves turn yellow then brown dry up and die. I sprayed the under side of the leaves with cayenne pepper water and killed bugs several times. I am not sure where these tiny bugs come from something must be laying eggs. I see white butterflies all the time but they do not seem to be a problem. Now I am spraying the under side of the leaves with the garden hose the water sprays the bugs off of the leaves. Water is probably not killing the bugs they end up on the ground but with those tiny micro small legs they will never be able to return to the leaves. I think the hot weather did more damage to tomato leaves than the bugs. Weather is starting to change daylight is 1 hour less. Aug 15 is usually a very noticeably weather change indicating fall weather is on the way. We had 85 degree weather all week 10 degrees below normal tomatoes and bell peppers are looking better with new leaves and blossoms. My 4 bell pepper plants are loaded with lots of pea size peppers each plant, no bugs. I saw a big green caterpillar on a tomato plant yesterday I have not seen 1 of those in 15 years. Tomato plants are not looking good but the plants are loaded with tomatoes. I never see bugs in the beans, pepper, melons, potatoes, onions, garlic, or corn. I have not been watching my kale I noticed yesterday something has been eating the leaves but there are no bugs on the plants. I think some plants have bugs worse than other plants.

imafan26
Mod

I am seeing more butterflies. The fiery skipper on my rhapsiolepsis indica and a monarch on the honey suckle. I think they are coming or the budleia. I have to cut the flowers off. It blooms this time of year. I am seeing fewer whiteflies now that I cut the hibiscus.

In the house is different story. I have 747's brazenly coming out at all hours of the day and I see either ant or termite frass going after the doors and moldings again.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”