Brandywinegirl

Squash Bugs Every Year!

No matter what I do, every time I plant zucchini, or any kind of squash - even watermelon - squash bugs take over. It's so bad that I decided not to grow it anymore. Yesterday I noticed what looks like a squash plant growing between my beets. It's already a nice size and doesn't seem to have any bugs yet.

Any preventative measures you suggest? Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Organic control of squash bugs includes diatomaceous earth and neem oil. If you put a board flat on the ground near the plant and leave it, you can check in the AM and the bugs may be hiding under it (this works for slugs also).

applestar
Mod

It's hard to check under every leaf for egg clusters, but there's a certain distinctive yellowing/wilting that occurs when squash bugs have been feeding prior to mating/laying eggs as well as when there's a hatching event of an egg cluster. If you check THOSE leaves, you are sure to find mating squash bugs and newly hatched nymphs that are still cluster-feeding. Position a cup of soapy water and pluck/drop the adults and squish the soft juvies or bag the entire leaf and clip off.

~~ Bag the squash bug buggered leaves and squish the itty bitty squash bug buggers ~~ :>

applestar
Mod

@Rainbowgardener, I wonder if your LED stinkbug light trap would work to catch squash bugs?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good memory! That was a thread from three years ago.

Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=57821&p=333712&hil ... ap#p333712

I only ever used it when we were getting stinkbugs inside the house. Once they were outside, I didn't try it. But I don't see any reason it wouldn't work outside if you have electricity to the garden (or a solar or battery powered lamp). The trap would need to be IN the garden, next to the plant you are trying to protect. The light would have to shine on the water.

And stinkbugs and squash bugs are closely related....

imafan26
Mod

Insect netting might help if it is covered before the bugs arrive, but you will have to make sure you have sealed the bottom of the netting well. Unless the squash is parthenocarpic you will have to hand pollinate. Apparently nasturtiums and white icicle radishes are supposed to repel them.

I don't have a problem with them now, but I had a lot of problems with the leaf footed squash bug when we lived on the perimeter of the ravine. Squash bugs and locusts ate everything in the garden unless it was netted. It was hard to keep them out and I had to go out everyday and pick them off the netting.

Brandywinegirl

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I have a community garden plot, so there is no electricity. Using the board and diatomaceus earth/neem oil may be the way to go. I will be proactive and get on it now. :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”