Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Caterpillar ID

This one is parasitized. My ecology class professor found him out in the woods in Upstate, SC yesterday during our lab. . That yellow bead is on his bum end. I've looked and looked, but can't seem to find anything but hornworms...and I know too well what they look like. Best pic I could get...
IMG_7128.JPG

told2b

Blue horn worms.jpg
Blue horn worms.jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
It looks like a blue horn worm.

applestar
Mod

Do you remember this thread? In it I showed photos of parasitized hornworm with grey spots where the wasp larvae are under the skin, coming out. So it's possible those scattered spots are signs of emerging wasp larvae.
Subject: Thought you could eat my tomatoes and get away with it, eh?
applestar wrote: Image
But I agree with you, Lindsay, that hornworms have their distinct diagonal marking even when in the younger instars. I think I have seen the caterpillar in your photo before... maybe in Bringing Nature Home by D. Tolmy. Do you have that book? I can look later.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I don't have that book... but I'll add it to my "to buy" list.

Definitely not tomato or tobacco hornworm, but it may be closely related. There were no diagonal markings associated with hornworms. I've searched every caterpillar guide I could find.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've been looking around.

Promethia is the closest think I can find. I don't remember there being red horns on its head though... Seems like if remember that.

applestar
Mod

Hm. The ones I was thinking of in that book were promethia that you mentioned and Dryocampa rubicunda caterpillar. Not quite right I think?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did some looking around too. The promethia was the closest one I found, but I wasn't convinced enough to bother suggesting it.

But check this out. https://www.prairiehaven.com/?page_id=8499 They do look quite different in different instars.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good work!

It's a really interesting one, the different instars are SO different: https://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/Sphinx/sabbotti.htm

It is a relative of hornworm, then, because the hornworms are also sphinx moth caterpillars (just different ones)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

It is a shame that these creatures do so much damage to our gardens. They really are amazing to watch.

After my recent battle with horn worms on my heirloom tomatoes I had to resort to dusting with Bt. Unfortunately it will kill the black swallow tail caterpillars on my dill.

This afternoon I planted 6 dill plants in pots away from my SFG boxes. 4 are for me. The other 2 are for the black swallow tails.

I don't mind sharing except for my tomatoes.

applestar
Mod

Lindsaylew82 wrote:https://bugguide.net/node/view/60479

Found it!
Oh cool! It's a grapeleaf eater. Maybe I might come across it here some day.... now I will have to go check the Butterflies and Moths site and see if any sighting has been reported for my area..... 8)

...just checked the link rainbow posted -- really really interesting about the different instar forms, and I WAS wondering about whether they also fed on Virginia creeper... plus the 40 yr old sighting in NJ. Heh. All my questions answered. :wink:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I saw that they DO feed on Virginia creeper. It's the primary source in my area. Our native grape in muscadine, but we have a lot of virginia creeper!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”