mulderitsme
Location: Central Valley, California, zone 9, container/patio gardening

Pest ID help, please and thank you

Found these on my succulent. I have also been finding tiny, hard black balls (like poop?) on a bunch of my plants, basil especially.

What is the best thing I can use that covers all bases (pesticide, bacteria, fungus, etc) that I can use on vegetables, flowers, and succulents that aren't harmful to pets? I've searched on the forum, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. My friend swears by sevin dust, but I like to use natural methods as much as possible. I also have toads in my yard that I would like to keep around, so nothing that would harm them.

Thank you so much!!
Attachments
Possibly some kind of gnat or fly??
Possibly some kind of gnat or fly??

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

is it the white thingies or the black thingies? very difficult to see in this pic.

Can you post pictures of your basil and other affected plants? best quality pics you can manage. :()

imafan26
Mod

The black things are poop. I saw one out of fucus nearly transluscent bug. I think they are aphids.

Alcohol straight up from the bottle usually works. Do it early in the morning and wait about 20 minutes and use a strong jet of water to blast them off. It is important to pat the leaves dry or and or use a fan to make sure the leaves dry. You can repeat the alcohol every three days, but I would use a cotton swab to rub off any excess. I don't like to use water much on succulents.

mulderitsme
Location: Central Valley, California, zone 9, container/patio gardening

Lindsaylew82 wrote:is it the white thingies or the black thingies? very difficult to see in this pic.

Can you post pictures of your basil and other affected plants? best quality pics you can manage. :()
imafan26 wrote:The black things are poop. I saw one out of fucus nearly transluscent bug. I think they are aphids.

Alcohol straight up from the bottle usually works. Do it early in the morning and wait about 20 minutes and use a strong jet of water to blast them off. It is important to pat the leaves dry or and or use a fan to make sure the leaves dry. You can repeat the alcohol every three days, but I would use a cotton swab to rub off any excess. I don't like to use water much on succulents.
That's kind of the best I can do with my crappy phone :?
You're right, they're aphids.
Thank you for both of your help, I very much appreciate it!!

JohnGCS

Had some on our succulents too, have always used standard repellent but will try the alcohol next time the pest come back - thanks!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”