boblalux
Newly Registered

Aphids and weed control.

Aphids: my redcurrant bush and my fruit trees are becoming aphid-infested. What is best - soap-water, alcohol, water steeped with garlic? Any other ideas? Recipes please. Any ideas?
Also with weeds: I am trying pure vinegar.
Many thanks(boblalux)
Bob

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Those all sound like good things!

I was reading an old remedy gardening book that had a garlic recipe for aphids.

You chop a whole head of garlic finely, and then soak it in olive oil until is overwhelmingly strong, then you strain it.
To 2 quarts of water, add 2-3 drops of regular dish soap, and 1-2 tablespoons of the oil. Shake it well and frequently.

IME, you have to concentrate on the upper canopy leaves, and the undersides of the leaves. I would DEFINITELY wait until the sun isn't directly on your plants. Like, do it at sunset where there's still light, but not direct light.

I don't treat smaller plants, just smile them with my fingers.

I think plain vinegar works ok. Horticultural strength vinegar works EVEN better.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A strong spray of plain old water will reduce aphid populations. After a while the ants that herd them will move them on to a nicer neighborhood.

terryrmanuel
Newly Registered

boblalux wrote:Aphids: my redcurrant bush and my fruit trees are becoming aphid-infested. What is best - soap-water, alcohol, water steeped with garlic? Any other ideas? Recipes please. Any ideas?
Also with weeds: I am trying pure vinegar.
Many thanks(boblalux)
Bob
Hi, here's an organic homemade weed killer.
1 gallon of white vinegar (5 % acidity)
1 cup of table salt
1 tablespoon of dish soap
In a jug mix the vinegar, salt, and soap until the salt has mostly
dissolved, then either pour onto targeted area or plant.
Try to apply on dry days with no rain (if you are using in grass or near
other plants cover the non-targeted species as this is a nonselective
killer). You should start to see results within 2 – 3 days. If you get a poor kill, reapply using slightly more solution.
Read more : https://infinitygardens.ca/blog/organic-weed-killer/ .
Here are some methods to get rid of aphids - https://www.naturallivingideas.com/12-or ... id-aphids/. Hope it helps.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Only use the salt solution where you don't want ANYTHING to grow. It kills the soil for a long time.
I'm about to use it on the weeds growing in the cracks in my driveway.

Plain soapy water has worked very well for me against aphids. But note it is best to use true soap. Dishwashing liquid is actually detergent, not soap and can burn your plants. True soap is things like Dr Brunner's, Murphy's oil soap, Ivory pure soap, etc.

imafan26
Mod

Don't forget to bait for the ants. The ants protect them from their predators.
I ditto using a strong blast of water to knock down as many as you can. You may have to do this every day for awhile..
Pests go after the weakest plants first so make sure your plants are getting all the nutrients and water they need and open them up so they get good air circulation.
Encourage the predators to move in to the yard by providing nectar, pollen plants, and habitat for them. In the long run healthy plants and a balanced ecosytem will take care of itself. It won't be pest free but it will be tolerable.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”