Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Might this be a June bug larva?

june bug.JPG
Whenever I turn my garden soil I bring up at least one of these. Somewhere along the line, I got the idea they are June bug larvae. I don't think they do any damage, so I just ignore them. The lizards love them though; I once saw one chowing down on one!

My June bugs here don't seem to hatch until July or August though. I think they wait for the southwestern summer rains. When I go down to the garden at night they are buzzing maniacally all over the place!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Looks like Japanese Beetle.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

After having googled junebug larva, they look very much the same from what I can now see....

I know they're not the same...

applestar
Mod

BIL texted me asking similar question about a lawn grub his dog was eating :x

After looking it up, I sent him a link for detailed instruction to examining the grub's "nether region" with a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe to differentiate among something like 5 or 6 species.... I'll go find the link if you want. :|

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Oh, that's ok, I was just curious. I think it's June bug because I have them here and they fly around once they hatch out. We don't have Japanese beetles in this climate. (luckily!) Wish I'd remembered these during the great recession, I might have had enough to eat. :shock:

applestar
Mod

Yeah .... :wink:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

((((Puke!))))

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”