rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

new trap crop?

In my old location velvetleaf was a very effective trap crop for leaf miners. But (so far?) I don't have any in my yard here.

But I have started noticing leaf miner trails in my nasturtium leaves and nowhere else. Velvetleaf, columbine, and lamb's quarters are the ones listed as leaf miner trap crops. But nasturtium is listed as one of the preferred host plants for them, which should make it a good trap crop too. Anyway, so far it seems to be working like that! Good to know. I'm happy to sacrifice some of the nasturtium leaves to keep the miners out of my veggies. Another reason for planting the nasturtium in my veggie beds!

imafan26
Mod

nasturtiums are a trap crop for black aphids too.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Your nasturtiums should be fine into June, then go south. They don't like hot weather. I don't even mess with them now, as so frustrating for a perhaps spring or fall show.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I plant my nasturtiums under the canopy of Cukes and squash plants. It keeps them growing through the heat, and then by the time I'm pulling plants, they're very well established and thrive in our (still pretty hot) fall. I get great blooms until frost, then they die.

imafan26
Mod

Nasturtiums just pop up most years by themselves in the herb garden. I pulled them early this year because the rain messed them up and they had mildew so they did not make a lot of seeds.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I hesitated to post anything, knew it would be shot down. (sigh and a bit of snark)
I mentioned growing nasturtiums here in the midsouth. Not common, and some push for spring and fall. It isn't an asked for bloom/leaves at the market which gives a clue not just me. Now cilantro a common request and I just say I don't like it and doesn't do heat! We have hot summer days and warm nights. This is hard on some plants including lavender.

Now back to thinking 18th c middle TN (Bledsoes Fort Trade Fair, E of Nashville) Plants native or intro early and all the other stuff.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'm new to the South and just learning all this. I will just have to see what happens. I have two lavender plants also, I really hope they can handle it here! People around here sell the lavender plants, but I suppose that doesn't really mean anything.... :(

The nasturtiums are annuals and I just popped the seeds in the ground. If they don't make it, oh well... But I love lavender. Any suggestions to help them survive here?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We've not had luck with lavender. I love it too! We've tried it out in the main garden where it got mostly full sun.... Fried. We tried it with the asparagus patch where it got afternoon sun. Fried. We tried it out front where it gets morning sun until 1-ish. Did ok for the whole summer. Lost it during the winter. Now I treat it like an annual.....

We get 2 good spring cuttings from cilantro befor it gets all gross and bolts. Usually by the second cutting it already tasting off to me. I just let it bolt to attract the army. 2 years ago, it went to seed and then I had volunteer cilantro come up. It ggrew ALL WINTER LONG! it had the best taste! Come spring we had loads and loads.

Are your nasturtium lasting through winter? We lost them all after the first light frost, and they didn't recover. Just rotted. We don't eat them or sell them. Come September, I'll call the fancies in town and offer to let them have what they want if they come pick, and they do! Their purpose it usually done for us by then. We use them as squash bug and SVB repellent along with white radish all around. I can't say that it's really made a difference, but it isn't hurting anything...

I work with surgeons everyday...I like a little snark.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”