TAlonso
Newly Registered

What Bug or Mite is this? How to treat?

Greetings:

I have a bean tree, not really sure what it is called but I know it produces edible beans. Anyways, I am starting to get these black and orangish mites on the bottom and they are spreading quickly. I need to know if they are ok to be there or if there is an organic way to deal with this problem. I live in Central Florida and it has been in the mid to high 80's for the past couple weeks which I think is helping them spread too. Any help would be great!
Attachments
IMG_3549.jpg

DR1VEN

Not sure...pretty good pic for ID...

looks like Spider Mite to me.

https://I.ytimg.com/vi/4YrO8UtPuGo/maxresdefault.jpg

DR1VEN

I'm not the most experienced in this area but looks like this is a great link from UC Davis...

Clickable descriptions for ID and treatment and such...

https://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r734400111.html

Hope this helps....Let us know how it proceeds for you. :D

TAlonso
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply, I too thought it was a spider mite but the pictures I was seeing didn't seem to match up. One suggestion in the link you gave me DR1VEN said to use look warm water and spray them off. That is what I decided to do since it is only a 2 year old tree and only about as tall as me. That worked great, but I know it didn't kill them just sprayed them onto the grass and I'm sure they will crawl back up the pot eventually but it at least reset them and might help buy me some time. Since I only have this one tree right now I don't mind spraying it down once a week or so but I'll need to figure out exactly what they are so I can come up with a more permanent treatment especially when I want to grow more of these plants.

applestar
Mod

Are there two different kinds of bugs/mites -- are the mites pretty big? Usually big mites are predatory.... Could they be eating the smaller bugs or are the smaller bugs their juvies?

imafan26
Mod

It is not a mite. It is too big and it looks like it only has six legs which makes it very unlikely. Mites are spiders and have 8 legs. I think it is some kind of beetle. I don't know what kind but the treatments would probably be about the same.

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... c2201.html

DR1VEN

imafan26 wrote:It is not a mite. It is too big and it looks like it only has six legs which makes it very unlikely. Mites are spiders and have 8 legs. I think it is some kind of beetle. I don't know what kind but the treatments would probably be about the same.

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... c2201.html
I missed the leg count...Imafan's dead on...not a mite.

Where do you live? here's a helpful ID link that limits pictures shown by your selections...really useful as it's helped me a few times in the past as long as you know what it looks like.....scroll down to the selection area at the bottom.
https://www.insectidentification.org/ins ... =BugFinder

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Are aphids they same thing as mites? They look like aphids to me.

There's actually an aphid called Black Bean Aphid, and I think it looks pretty similar.
image.jpeg

imafan26
Mod

Aphids definitely are not mites. Aphids are soft bodied and have six legs though. In the picture the bugs are pretty big on the leaf, but that may be misleading me. It is hard to tell without a scale. Talonso can you put one of those bugs up against a reference like a dime so we would have an idea of how big they are. Aphids are usually small, the biggest ones I know of are spiny aphids, but your picture may be misleading as to the size of the bugs. When I zoom the picture is too out of focus to make out details on the bugs. If they are smaller than they appear to be they could be black bean aphids as Lindsay suggests.
Aphids are soft bodied, you can squish them with your hands
They leave a sticky residue
Most of them have a cornicle or a little pointy tail.
They can be seen with the naked eye but are small 1/32-1/8 of an inch.
They come in a variety of colors and some may be cottony or woolly with a waxy coating.
They move but not very fast
aphids suck on plant juices heavy feeding can cause the leaves to wilt, pucker, deform and yellow. Leaves under the infested leaves can be coated with black sticky residue (sooty mold)

Beetles
bigger than aphids
move fast
adult bodies can be soft or shell like depending on the beetle
Beetles usually make holes in leaves and larvae will burrow in seed pods.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”