applestar
Mod

Re: 2016 Slug count...already?!?

I got 5 really BIG ones this morning, as well as about a dozen little ones.

One of the advantages of uniform mulch that is not often mentioned is that it makes spotting anomalies really easy -- weeds that don't belong, for sure, but also 2 inch long ( that is HUGE for this area) stretched out slugs, desperately trying to get to shelter before the morning light gets too bright. :twisted:

There's also much to be said for simply and randomly LIFTING UP objects when it comes to finding slugs. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

I usually look in the same places I have found them before. Under pots, in the pots eating the roots, clinging between pots, and early in the morning I can catch a few going accross the lawn. The last snail was as big as my palm and it took several whacks with the hoe matic to even break the shell. The birds will come and clean it up later.

I got three more this morning in the front yard. I need to bait that place. The back yard was baited earlier and I did not find any today. Doesn't mean they aren't there, they just aren't as stupid.
Last edited by imafan26 on Tue May 31, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Builder6
Newly Registered

I see a lot of damage to my young plants in he spring. I am in Oregon so I have seen good results with Sluggo the rains tend to wash it away. I have tried beer in cups with cardboard to shade it and keep the rain off with limited success. Wild rabbits seemed to love the adult bevs. So I was getting rid of one pest and attracting a new one. I pick about 8 to 10 slugs per trip out to the garden. Anyone got a good remedy

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Just keep picking. My kid thinks it's great fun to go and search for them, and then she thinks it doubly fun to chase me with her slimy slug hands, because she knows they gross me WAY THE EFF out! :shock: :roll: but seriously... :shock:

We had a fairly heavy, but brief downpour a around 5 which brought out the slugs by 6:30. Man and Big Kid went out and practiced how they would gross me out at the next opportunity. (Sneaky sneaks!)

They came in with somewhere around 90!

I swear I picked at least twice that many this weekend!

Mostly on the marigolds.

applestar
Mod

I had an epiphany -- Haha I was thinking that I read in a novel -- either A Year in Provence or The Art of Eating ...both delightfully rich with detailed description of French cooking -- that prep is key when cooking escargot and you purge the snails by feeding them cornmeal and drowning them in wine. Then thought wait, isn't that what you do to catch slugs? - cornmeal and beer? Hey, so they're already prepped. :P Buy those fancy serving shells and plates at gourmet kitchenware stores and serve them with those fancy little forks, and who would know the difference. :twisted:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I could literally feed this entire forum... :shock:

partizzy at my hizzy!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”