TatiEva

Help me identify this "egg"? Please.

I can't find the forum section for "non organic flower bed insects" so I've posted here, apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong section.
I have found a few of these clear looking ball things in my flower container. Not organic soil, just normal potting soil for my flowers.
I've researched on the subject and I'm hoping their not gnat eggs? Please help me identify and to know if I should somehow get rid of them.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
image.jpeg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not an egg. Just fertilizer from your potting soil. You can pop it and water will come out. That is water it took in by osmosis. That's why they are swelled up more and more obvious than when you put the potting soil in the container.

They are polymer-coated balls of liquid fertilizer. If you look on the package, you will probably see that your product is designed to fertilize for 3 to 6 months. The balls contain a solution with N-P-K compounds in it. The coating is designed to deteriorate over time with exposure to water and the soil. The varying size of the balls is due to a differing thickness of coating, resulting in release at varying times. When the coating dissolves, it releases the liquid fertilizer into the soil.

imafan26
Mod

It is probably osmocote slow release fertilizer put in by the manufacturer. It lasts for 3-6 months depending on temperature. The fertilizer is coated by a soy shell. As the fertilizer is depleted the shell becomes more transluscent. It looks like it is almost time for more fertilizer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Note the time stamp! :) Imafan and I managed to post our similar answers at exactly the same minute!

At least you have two answers that agree with each other, so you have confirmation.

TatiEva

Haha, wow! It's nice to be surrounded by pros! Thanks so much guys! :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”