OrganicElf
Newly Registered

Over watering potted raspberry plant?

Hello, I am new to gardening. I just recently got a raspberry plant at my local garden shop and upon taking it home I transferred it into a bigger pot, from the nursery one that it came in. I used a bag of organic soil I bought there as well, and sprinkle a little bit of recommended fertilizer. I have been watering it about ever other day, its been kinda of cold and cloudy the last few days. It's been about one week from the move and the plant is not looking as good as it was when I first got it. Some of the leafs are starting to brown and have white areas. Does anyone one know where I went wrong or what I can do to help my plant thrive? I feel like I always over water my plants, but I have been cautious to just to give it what it needs. Please any advice would be much appreciated, feel free to ask me questions to help isolate what is wrong with my plant.
Also, this was supposed to be in the fruit forum, can anyone tell me how to delete or relocate this question to the right forum?
Attachments
20160410_181437.jpg
20160410_181427.jpg
20160410_181418.jpg
Last edited by OrganicElf on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr green
Green Thumb

It may be a PH problem, what is the PH of the soil according to the bag? They want something like 5,5-6.0. So if you planted in soil made for vegtebles it may be the cause, since they tend to have higher ph than berries in general want.

OrganicElf
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply, really helpful.:)
I am really not sure, I looked on the bag but couldn't find anything.
I am using Eko Organic Potting soil
(Link to what product I have https://www.therichlawncompany.com/produ ... nting-mix/
I used recommended amount of Jobes Organic All Purpose Fertilizer
(Link to what product I have https://www.walmart.com/ip/21782945wmlsp ... 16&veh=sem
Looking at it now it doesn't say anything about fruit, but does say vegetables and flowers... What would you recommend I do?

applestar
Mod

Are you keeping it indoors? Raspberry needs full sun or just a little less -- maybe 6 hours. I suppose it might still be frosty where you are, but it should go outside when temperature is above freezing. My outside in-ground raspberries have started to leaf out and we're still having occasional low temperatures in the 30's and had a couple of freezes and frosts. It snowed, too though nothing stuck.

OrganicElf
Newly Registered

It is out doors, I have it sitting up on a bar stool on my south facing balcony so it gets all the sun light it can. It is still a little cold here around 35 at night and 65-50ish in the day. When I first got it, the weather was really warm and sunny, but the past few days have been very cloudy with little to no sun and cold winds. I have noticed that some of the leafs that aren't sickly looking are forming a reddish hue to them. I read somewhere that was its way of protecting itself from the cold.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Yes the leafs might turn a purple/reddish color from cold, also could be phosporus defiency ive read, but I would go with applestar, 35 degrees might be little low for a plant thats full of leaves already, it should start to wake up now mine are doing so just like applestar and we have hot days right now but the nights go down to 30. But your southfacing balcony should provide some micro climate however.
Maybe take it indoors at night, or atleast as close to the housewall you can to protect it from the most cold, covering it would work to.

I do however grow raspberries in quite shady areas and it can be done, they grow in forests with little light wild here in Sweden.They can do full sun tho and they do best there.

I looked up the soil and I cant find any PH either its the first time ever I have come across bagged soil product that doesnt say what PH it has...

OrganicElf
Newly Registered

I thinking bringing it inside might be to drastic of change for the plant? I will definitely start taking it down closed to the wall side till it warms up here. For cover it, what would you suggest covering it with? Also, should I clip off the sickly leafs and is there any other way I can test the PH in the soil? I saw you can buy meters but most of them were very pricey which I can't afford right now.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Jutebags is great for covering. Or something similar. There are synthetic cloths to that is used in gardens, but I like the jute it can be composted when gone bad too. It might even do fine with just coming close to the wall in the evening. Your expecting any more frost?
I would leave the leaves on there plants usually draw back nutrients from dying leafs, and cutting them of if they don't have pests or disease just robs the plant of nutrients.

There should be inexpensive one time use (how you call theses things?) test kits. They have some agent in them and you add some some soil and distilled water preferably. Look like small tubes with some powder in them and a lid. The ones I buy comes in pack of 2 and cost like 2dollars. (Havnt tried mine tho but they are supposed to work quite well)

OrganicElf
Newly Registered

Okay, thanks for the information. I am going to try bringing it close to the wall and see how it does. It should be getting warmer as the days go on, expecting some cold rainstorms but the weather here is unpredictable so it could, but it doesn't look like it.
Good to know, I never thought keeping them did any good. I will be sure to leave them.
Hmm, next time I am at the store I will look for those. I will let you know what I find out. If the PH levels are out of whack, are there ways to fix it or would it need to replanted with different soil?

Mr green
Green Thumb

Rainstorms aint no problem usually means the temperature stays above freezing and same thing with cloudy nights. Yeah only remove leaves if you suspect some kind of pest that may spread.

The best way in my opinion would be to to change the soil since its a potted plant it would probably give quickest results.
There are some products out there but I don't really have knowledge to recomend any of them, since I'm on acidic soil never tried them. Sulfur is used, but I believe it doesnt act so fast.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Stop watering it so much. Wait until the top inch or so of the soil dries out before watering again. Make sure you dump any standing water out of the tray or saucer under the pot 1 hour or so after watering the plant.

OrganicElf
Newly Registered

Mr green wrote:Rainstorms aint no problem usually means the temperature stays above freezing and same thing with cloudy nights. Yeah only remove leaves if you suspect some kind of pest that may spread.

The best way in my opinion would be to to change the soil since its a potted plant it would probably give quickest results.
There are some products out there but I don't really have knowledge to recomend any of them, since I'm on acidic soil never tried them. Sulfur is used, but I believe it doesnt act so fast.

If it does drop below freezing again here, would it be best just to bring the plant in doors at night?
Once I get the kit to check the PH, I'll keep you posted on what the come out is. Do you have any good recommendation of what organic potting soil that would be the right PH, that would be easy to just to buy? I am not even sure how to find the PH level on the bags, haven't seen any.

OrganicElf
Newly Registered

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Stop watering it so much. Wait until the top inch or so of the soil dries out before watering again. Make sure you dump any standing water out of the tray or saucer under the pot 1 hour or so after watering the plant.

I really don't feel I am, I always check the the soil before watering like you suggested. The air is really dry here, so I feel like it dries pretty quickly. Also, you can't tell in the picture but some of the leafs do feel crunchy, so that makes me feel like I am under-watering it? Also, I have been checking the saucer and and dumping any standing water that is there.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Since its full of leaves I would bring it inside its easier for them to tolerate heat than to much cold. I can't really recommend you a specific product since I'm in another continent, hopefully someone in your area can recommend a soil product.
Edit: I got curious and did some searching for OMRI listed soils, and they don't seem to wanna tell you what PH it has, here in Sweden I cant find a bagged soil product without the PH on it. Kellogg says this on one of their bags:
"dolomite & oyster shell limes (as pH adjusters)" And if they don't know the PH after doing that or even before they are very unserious, the fact that they wont list the PH tells me their pretty nonserious as well. I didnt meant to junk on the Kellogg's company specifically but it was what I find. Maybe one can contact them to get to know the PH of their products but man that sucks, it so easy to put on the bag and it can be very essential.

They way you have explained your watering it seems good like your doing it, good if you let it dry out some between watering, a plant in a pot will need more watering than in the ground.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Found it now tho! On their website they have a PDF in the bottom of each product and not even then you can find it on all products since some of the documents are incomplete... -.- Hope these lousy companies may add the PH to their bags! Its like going to a gasstation and you must go inside to find the owner to know wich hose gives you gas and wich one gives diesel, and then its like he wants to sell you two full tanks so he tells you the hose that has ethanol.

But in the end I didnt find a product with the right PH many of them couldnt find out at all... Maybe giving them a call is the best way, if they even answer the phone for you. I got my daily dose of unserious buisiness for sure...

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”