rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Troublesome Insects

Type slug control into the search box upper left and find tons of stuff already written about them here.

I use diatomaceous earth against the slugs, sprinkled on and around the plants. But it has to be reapplied after rain. Slugs are the only things that ever bothered my peppers in my zone 6a garden. Now I'm here in 7b and don't have any experience here yet, so we will see....

applestar
Mod

pepperhead212 wrote: I spray a mix of KCl, garlic, hot peppers, coriander seed, and rosemary, every time I uncover them (every two weeks or so) and have never had the problem with aphids for several years.
lol :lol: pepperhead, if all of those spice and herb aromatics are getting into your peppers, you must be growing the best tasting peppers anywhere! Image

imafan26
Mod

copper barrriers do work, but you have to make sure the slugs and snail are outside the barrier. They can hide in mulch or under pots or even inside pots munching on roots. I hand pick them early in the morning. Some people go out after dark with a flashlight, but I found that was not nearly as effective as going out at first light while the dew is still on the leaves and in the dawn light. Snails will hang around for a couple of hours before the sun drives them to hide. Beer bait and a board propped up on a brick and sprayed with water also works. The slugs and snails will be hiding under the board and can be picked off during the day. Powdery mildew is an air circulation issue. If you have good air circulation and you can dry off any morning dew quickly and keep humidity down it helps. Zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes are very susceptible so I take off excess leaves, give the plants lots of room, water in the early morning so they have a chance to dry off and spray with fungicide weekly. If you are using an oil do not use sulfur withing two weeks before and after the oil or the plants will burn. I live in a humid climate so I don't expect to get 100% control. I try to control fungal disease as much as possible and take off and destroy infected leaves. I get as much harvest as I can; pull the plants and put in another one in a different spot.

Controlling ants control aphids and scale. Healthy plants that are potted up and fed regularly are poor targets.

Aphids and scale also like conditions with poor air circulation. I use alcohol to control most pests on leaves. As long as you don't use it in the heat of the day it takes care of most problems, but you have to inspect daily and hose of the plant leaves often. If your green house has a vent open it up, if it has a fan, use it.

Lady bug larvae are ugly but they only eat aphids and harmful bugs. Adult lady bugs eat a few aphids but need nectar and that is why I grow alyssum, coriander, and fennel.

Pepper and garlic sprays are also used on bugs, but I prefer to invite predators to take care of the problem and optimize the environment, they do a better job than anything else.

https://eartheasy.com/grow_nat_pest_cntrl.htm

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”