Allyn
Green Thumb

Carpenter Bees, Wasps and Anoles

I have a couple of Carpenter bee nests in my porch roof rafters that I need to remove. My plan, as it is now, is to treat the rafters with a bee repellent (citri-fresh, NBS30 or some other natural repellent) and provide sacrificial wood like pieces of pine to let them nest in. I don't want to kill the bees, and I want them to stay -- just not in any structural wood. I also want to treat the inside of the laundry room with wasp repellent to discourage wasps from making nests in there. The laundry room is a shed that houses the washer and dryer separate from the main house.

Now, my question is, will the repellent affect my anoles? I have anoles all over the porch -- on the deck, in the rafters, in and around the plants. Any given time during the day, I can walk outside and spot a half a dozen of them. They also live in and around the laundry shed. I want them to stay. Will the repellents send them scurrying away?

imafan26
Mod

Instead of scraps of wood. If you can get a bundle of bamboo about 3/4 inch diameter and hang it in a tree. They would really like that. Carpenter bees prefer unpainted wood. Caulk and paint. I have a lot of anoles and skinks all over my yard too. They are territorial, but nothing much slows them down except predators like cats, dogs, and birds.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Well, see that's the thing. I don't want to caulk and paint. The timbers are rustic rough-hewn and it would ruin the look to paint them. I like the carpenter bees on the porch. Since the carpenter bees have moved in, I haven't seen a single wasp patrolling the porch looking for a place to nest. I just can't have them in the structural wood.

I'll hang the sacrificial wood and deal with the existing nests. I understand the bees like pine and redwood. If I can entice them to the sacrificial wood, maybe I can forego using the repellent.

applestar
Mod

Came across this thread -- Allyn did it work?

Allyn
Green Thumb

I don't know how to answer that. I put some sacrificial wood up -- I made an extra row of wood below the existing beams across the front and back of the porch where the bees had drilled nests. (I say "I" like I did it. It was my husband who did the work. I just stood on the porch and supervised, pointing authoritatively and such.) I haven't seen a carpenter bee since. Next spring might tell more. If the bees go for the new wood next spring, that will be more telling.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”