StevePots

Mini Paul Bunyan cut down my Tomato

What in this world cuts a tomato off at ground level at night?
I planted this tomato plant (Everglades current tomato) deep with just the top sticking out two days ago. I was just admiring it last night. It is one of 8 tomato plants.
This morning I make coffee and head for the garden to just sit out there and enjoy the cool air, the pants and my coffee when I find this.
Moved the plant to take a closer look at the "cut"

My first thought is cutworm. Never seen these little rascals in action before.

My question is... Does the toilet paper roll work? I mean has anybody used it and it actually stopped cutworms?
Think about it. The worm crawled up a bucket to get to my plant why won't it simply just crawl over the roll?
Last edited by StevePots on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

StevePots

I see our cat Butters has left me a small hint as to the solution.
Coincidence? I think not. Smart boy!

JC's Garden

Toilet paper roll does work but I always examine the soil in the container and under the container. Yes, I mean that I remove the soil and look carefully for any sort of pest.

applestar
Mod

I agree it looks like Cutworm Bunyan's work. :wink:
A pair of toothpicks or any similar sharp sticks (pointed end helps minimize root damage) on either side of the seedling works, too cutworm needs to wrap itself completely around the stem -- like a pipe cutter.

Love your kitty :lol:

StevePots

applestar wrote:Love your kitty :lol:
He is a street rescue. My wife found him and sent a photo of him to me. I told her to bring him home. Poor guy was only 5 weeks old.
That night he slept in his own brand new bed with a full tummy. We have another rescue, much older than Butters so we had to keep him in a bathroom for 14 days to make sure he did not have any diseases he could pass to the other cat.

He came out the bathroom on Christmas night 2013. He has been a wonderful addition to the family. I don't believe in buying pets. All my pets from childhood on, They all picked me to be their caregiver and I have considered each and every one of them a blessing.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”