Justniv

Pumpkin female flowers problems

Hi everyone,
So finally the female flowers are popping, BUT - they all rots and die. I've no idea why, and I don't think its snails/slugs cause the plant growing on a fence.
Adding some pics:

Thanx
Attachments
IMG_20150830_172213.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi Justn, welcome to the Forum! I can only see the bottom picture. If you hit preview before you submit, you will see what your post is looking like.

Does your pumpkin also have male flowers? If so, have you seen bees around your flowers?

The female flower comes with a baby pumpkin already started behind it. If it is not pollinated (enough - takes more than one visit), the baby pumpkin will continue to grow for awhile, then eventually shrivel up, soften, and drop off.

If you think this might be the problem, you can try hand pollinating.

Justniv

all the pics are previewed in here - I can see them all..
Anyway I know hand pollinating, the thing is that the female flowers die before they even open (to allow pollinating..)

Justniv

Thanx for the welcome :)
Adding photos again:

Justniv

here are photos of 2 different ''fruits'':

after cutting:

NOTICE that there is a worm inside the left one !

The worm:

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, I never saw this. I just found it now, when you made a different post. I went searching back through all your posts.

I think you found your culprit, the "worm" you pictured. It is either armyworm or pickleworm. Here's an article about the pickleworm:

https://viettes.wordpress.com/tag/worms-in-squash/

She says: It’s the larval stage that does all the damage. The young pickleworm larvae/caterpillars begin feeding as soon as they hatch from their tiny eggs. At first, they bore into and feed on the flower buds and the tender young stems of the plants. As these caterpillars grow, they molt several times going through 5 larval instars before they mature and pupate.

Did you find a way to deal with them? Did you ever get any pumpkins?

Depending on where you are, very end of Aug was late not to have pumpkins actually growing. After the flower is successfully pollinated, it takes anywhere up to two months before you have a ripe pumpkin.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”