Kalak

Slug search -- 35 down

We went out again and picked 35 of the little blighters off plants. I've tried beer traps and copper tape, but going on a slug hunt seems to be one of the most effective ways of getting rid of them (so far).
There was one the size of a walrus (slight exaggeration there...) and I was so annoyed my camera wasn't working that I ordered a cheap one with my weekly online shop (so cheap it might be rubbish).
We can't use most deterrents, as the local cat population seem to love my garden. Lots of 'baby' slugs -- been raining here all week. How far can these things travel? I caught a bunch of then making their way down my neighbour's wall onto my decking (students -- gardens mostly untended). O:)

MichaelC

I don't know if Sluggo is available in the UK, but it is pet safe and effective.

imafan26
Mod

It is still summer, wait till the seasonal rains come, it gets worse. Slugs and snails are by bane. I caught 4 yesterday in the middle of the day. I got them cleaning my bench as it was the only way to find out where they were hiding. I hope I got the ones on the bench as I have more seedlings and they have been devouring them. They already got all three of my cucumber and it looks like they are going after the beans now. Another one disappeared overnight.

applestar
Mod

Good work! Yes hand picking IS effective, though you have to keep at it and be persistent at first. You are an expert once you can recognize their eggs as well.

For instant gratification when you go out, try leaving a scrap wooden board or piece of lumber flat on the ground. Turn that over and you will find a lot hiding. I also used to leave scooped grapefruit halves and orange wedges in the garden beds as a trap -- they seem to like those and I would always find some underneath/inside -- just replace with fresh ones before they go moldy and stinky.

Encourage natural predators so you have help hunting them, too. :wink:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Kalik,

Keep the beer pans going. You may need more. I have never had any luck with copper wire. I have had luck with a 1" barrier of crushed egg shells around the base of plants. The slugs and snails won't cross it.

Slug infestations seem to be cyclical. In a 4' x 4' SFG box I will put 2 or 3pans of beer or yeast water. The slugs die drunk and happy.

:-()

Good luck

Kalak

MichaelC wrote:I don't know if Sluggo is available in the UK, but it is pet safe and effective.
Thank you -- I'm going to try that.

Already lost most of my plants to the little ********** but better late than never etc. :-()

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”