applestar
Mod

ASSASSIN BUG, Garden Patrol

--- do they specialize in any particular pest control? --

I don't usually see assassin bugs that much, I think this is only the second or third one this year. Maybe they are very stealthy.... Image

So I was very glad to save it from the rinse bucket :-()
image.jpg

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Yeep! I respect and fear them at the same time lol. I had my comforter hanging out to dry one day and when I grabbed it to bring it in one was hiding just in the fold where I had my hand. I moved away slowly and figured I'd let it stay out to dry a bit more ;)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

A gardener's best friend. When I had my landscaping business and when I worked in the Garden Center at Lowe's I had many clients asking how to get rid of these creepy looking bugs. I enjoyed educating them on the benefits of Assassin Bugs.

:-()

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Look who I found on my 9th floor office window right after reading your post. So strange he was hanging out way up there.

applestar
Mod

Fantastic! :lol:

applestar
Mod

https://beauregardparishcountrylife.wor ... ug-nymphs/

---

Subject: assassin bugs
hendi_alex wrote:It is pretty hard to tell the difference between an assassin bug and the many similar species that suck plant juices. The assassin bug is a predator and will only be present in numbers that their prey can support. These beneficials are the best of friends in your garden.

The assassin bug has a hooked proboscis with a claw like tip. Many of the plant juice suckers look very similar but their proboscis is is more strawlike and missing the hooked beak on the very tip.

Assassin bug photo taken last year. Note the proboscis.

Assassin bug during two favorite activities: sex and a good meal.

Note the thinner, less lethal proboscis on this juice sucking species. Has a very similar body structure to passion bug, but is a vegetarian that gives a fit on squash and tomato plants.

Here is a mimic to one of our most common assassin bugs, that was in photo #1. Notice the similar coloration, but also notice the thinner proboscis that is adapted for sucking plant juices.

You almost never see passion bugs in more than the one's or two's and in a very wide scattering in the yard or garden. Juice sucking bugs of similar species or family however will be found in large numbers as they linger on and around their host plants of choice.

Note: A common name for the assassin bug is the passion bug. That is because they have a habit of biting a human on the lip while the person is asleep. Little vampires I think! One got in our house and bit our youngest daughter on the lip when she was very young.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”