Librali
Newly Registered

Grass problem ... Any solution ?

Hello

Every time I seed grass in my garden goes well with daily watering but after period of time I see yellow spot everywhere and and the grass start yellowing and die :cry: :cry: .... Last time the gardener suggested to sprayed it with a chemical material don't know what it was ... Unfortunately 80% of the grass became yellow :x ... Please could you help me with this issue ?
Attachments
IMG_2390.JPG

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Librali wrote:Hello

Every time I seed grass in my garden goes well with daily watering but after period of time I see yellow spot everywhere and and the grass start yellowing and die :cry: :cry: .... Last time the gardener suggested to sprayed it with a chemical material don't know what it was ... Unfortunately 80% of the grass became yellow :x ... Please could you help me with this issue ?

Good morning OP,

Could you please tell us more like your location and the type of grass you have. It sounds like you might have been sold either a selective herbicide, or an insecticide. More often than not garden centers are quick to sell you a weed and feed, weed and feeds are selective herbicides, meaning they will kill the weeds but not harm your grass. HOWEVER they are specific to certain grasses. For example you cannot use a weed and feed designed for Bahia grass on a St. Augustine grass. If you applied the wrong selective herbicide that would be why it died.

An insecticide is probably not going to have those kinds of effects on your grass unless you added too much. Insecticides are often used to deal with pests such as Chinc bugs, their larvae feed on the herbaceous roots of the grass and cause dead spots.

The last thing to consider is your grass seed and PH of your soil. If you are using a "cheaper" grass seed you might encounter some difficulty. While YES all grass seed is grass seed, the difference is how the manufacture coats the seed. For example, a certain manufacture sells Bermuda grass seed with just plain seed and some mulch to aid in with spreading. The same manufacture sells the same seed with a special coating that has an herbicide, fungicide, insecticide, fertilizer, and water retention gel to prevent drying out. You can guess which seed is more $$$ and more likely to germinate and thrive. If you are using a seed without any of these properties it is important to cover the seeds with a thin layer of top soil after spreading. This will ensure that the seeds will remain dark and also aid with water retention. Seeds need three thing to germinate, Temperature, Oxygen, and Water. Once the seeds have germinated they will grow to a certain height with their food reserves stored in the seed (cotyledons or endosperm) once this food source is depleted it will be dependent on outside sources for food. Which is the segway to my next topic. Power of Hydrogen or PH can determine what elements can be taken up readily by the plant (in your case grass) if your PH is out of wack element uptake is greatly inhibited by the plant. It is good practice to check your PH.

In closing their are alot of things that can be wrong with your grass, more than likely it is one or a combination of things listed above. knowledge is power my friend good luck!

-Jonathan

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”