susanapics

Bug ID on Four O'Clocks?

I have/had a flower bed filled with Rosemary and Four O'Clocks. Three years ago the Rosemary was infested with some pest (this one) I couldn't identify and eventually, after a couple of rough winters (I'm in Tennessee so "rough" is subjective - but "single digits" let's say) the three plants died of stress and cold. Since then, it appears these vile creatures, left with no alternative, have now infested my Four o'Clocks. This routine begins in early May and continues to present. They are sad and decimated and are just now beginning to get a few stray blooms where before there were so many the scent would fill up my entire kitchen. I've tried clipping the tips (in some cases, nabbing the caterpillar that's inside the webby part but it's rare that I even see this pest) I've sprayed the dish soap/water concoction but they just laugh at me. I'm hoping someone here can help. Does anyone know what it is and/or what its habits are? and Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be done to obliterate these devils (save planting new Rosemary as a trap crop or pulling out some major pesticide- which I'm opposed to)? Thanks!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Susana - warm welcome to the forum.

:eek: What a mess.

Honestly I am clueless. In south Louisiana both Rosemary and Four O'Clocks are practically bullet proof.

Hopefully some of the other forum members will have experience with that nasty creature.

If not take samples, enclose them in a Zip Lock bag or a closed jar and bring the sample to your county Agent's office. They will be able to identify the infestation and make recommendations on treatment. IDK about your Extension Office but my CA strives to address insect infestations in a manner that is the least detrimental to the environment.

BTW - We are leaving tomorrow morning and driving to Memphis. We will spend the night there and have dinner at Rendezvous. Sunday morning we will drive to Nashville. G has a conference. While the guys are working I will have time to visit with my friend Sandra. I visited Nashville in 07. Sandra has never been to Nashville. We are staying at the Omni and will do the tourist things - Monday - Country Music Hall of Fame and the Ryman Auditorium. Monday evening dinner at Husk. Don't know what we will do Tuesday morning. We have several options. Tuesday afternoon we are going to visit the Gaylord. Sandra has never been to a Gaylord property. Tuesday evening is the Grand Ole Opry.

I am sooo ADD. I pack a little then get on the computer then pack some more. I will probably be up most of the night. that is OK. I can sleep in the car.

I am really looking forward to visiting your beautiful city. O:)

Sorry I could not help with your pest problem. Personally I would run to my county agent's office. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

susanapics

Thanks Elizabeth for the good advice. And, welcome to Nashville! (in advance) The Omni is awesome and I'm sure you'll love it. Haven't been to Husk yet but I'm sure that is my loss. Personally, I would trade the Grand Ole Opry in for ANY show at the Ryman but that's because I live here and I believe it's illegal to go if you live here - lol.

The Frist Museum has a great exhibit of Italian fashion at the moment, which might not sound that exciting at first but it is truly amazing even if you aren't big on fashion. You might also enjoy going to Cheekwood Botanical Gardens if you don't mind the heat. It's typically my number one choice for visiting gardeners. Enjoy your stay and thanks again, Susan

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Looks like the caterpillar from H. I have it (them) getting into the winter savory, thyme, oregano, and could be the same one on mint., monarda/bee balm, pennyroyal. I get blank looks like I am crazy when brought to ext office, other farmers at farmers markets etc. I know I'm not seeing things!
I was picking today for farmers market, and when I came across, just cut out hunks of plant, hopefully with cat, dropped mess in can then baggied. Meanie here left that baggie on the hot concrete with hot sun. (then put in trash can!) They are getting worse, so getting ready for more Bt. That seems to keep them in check, after you trash the worst. With the webby thing, soap spray doesn't get to them.
I suggest the Bt as it is considered organic, and seems to work.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”